LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-01-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Husqvarna Oil Drain Solution

Hi All. I recently jumped on a clearance deal at Lowe’s and bought a Husqvarna ST224P that I think will serve my needs but I am very concerned when it comes time to do an oil change. Date of manufacture was 10/2018. Besides the crappy plastic and tiny dipstick, the drain plug is flush against the engine with no sort of extension! Has anyone on here come up with a good solution? I know Husqvarna has a two inch drain pipe I could probably get but, is there anything longer and more convenient? What a poor design. I’m not even sure what the plug hole size would be to rig up something myself. Is it 10mm? I’m considering simply buying a hand pump to go in through the filler hole and just suck the oil out when it comes time to change it. Thanks in advance for any solutions you can share! I contacted the company days ago. The “expert” acted like he never heard of this and bumped me to somebody else whom I haven’t heard back from. I tried to make contact again but have not gotten a response yet. Certainly there must be others with this poor set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-01-2019, 03:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 97
There is a thread in the Husqvarna section here: https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...-good-bad.html that includes some information on your problem. It appears that there was a chassis re-design that precluded the use of the short and long oil drain tubes. The short comes out the side of the engine while the long goes out the rear of the engine. Post 27 and post 40 provide pics of the machines for your info. Other posts give some other insights.

It appears there is a hole in the chassis under the engine drain plug which may allow oil onto the transmission. So the option of sucking out the oil from the fill plug seems like a good one. There does not as yet appear to be an answer to whether one or two short drain plugs will fit or whether your engine has a rear port for the long tube drain.

You may want to keep track of that thread to see if a solution is identified. Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eyebolt thanked for this post
post #3 of 6 Old 08-01-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for your reply and link. I read through it. Seems like others are going through the sane thing. I haven’t been getting anything out of Husqvarna which is also concerning from a customer service standpoint. By now, they should have devised a solution to the lack of a decent oil drain method. I’ve been looking at something called a Drainzit hose that would replace the oil drain plug but can’t seem to find anyone that knows the drain hole size. I guess I could tilt the unit and take the plug out and figure it out myself. Or I am still on the fence about just returning the whole thing and search for a better alternate brand. The last blower I replaced was a tiny little thing that lasted about 30 years in our family! A Dynamark! Which was a bargain brand back then! But had a Tecumseh Snow King engine that was unstoppable. Never threw a shear pin or anything. I gave it away a couple days ago. The carb was leaking and it seemed to be losing compression under load but was still functioning! They sure don’t make them like they used to!
post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Cute little thang!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BDAD398A-2335-4B0A-8836-65DEB370C6D1_1564705112187.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	156527   Click image for larger version

Name:	9530741F-85D3-40FE-BB54-C48226E1E4C9_1564705132733.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	156529  
post #5 of 6 Old 08-02-2019, 01:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Given): 51
Likes (Received): 151
any pics of the machine in question maybe even some of the side and back? even if it don't have the drain tube it isn't that hard to change the oil. it is not like you have to change it every year. i would say oil is likely good for 5 years after the first break in oil change depending on how much it is used. usually you go by color or hours of use. i usually take the wheel off engines like that and use a old oil container that has been cut up as a funnel to keep the oil off the machine and drop into my oil change pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190802_140402.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	156531  

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 08-02-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eyebolt thanked for this post
post #6 of 6 Old 08-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 12
What make engine is it? You could contact the manufacturer of the engine about an extension, or the size and thread of the drain hole. I had a similar problem with my Predator 212, but was able to buy a thread adaptor on Ebay, and used NPT extension found at my local hardware store
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in