Resistance specs for ignition coil (34443D for Tecumseh HSSK50) ? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Resistance specs for ignition coil (34443D for Tecumseh HSSK50) ?

Hi - could someone point me to where I can find the resistance specs for a 34443D CDI solid state ignition module? It is for an Ariens 524 (Model 932036) with Tecumseh HSSK50 engine (spec: 67416U). I suspect mine is bad, but I'd like to test it before ordering a new one. I have checked all the documentation I could find (Ariens owner's manual, parts manual, repair manual, service manual and Tecumseh technician's handbook), but don't see the specs listed in any of them. I've been looking on the internet, including here, but so far no luck.

Also, can I test the coil while still attached, or do I have to physically remove it to get correct readings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2019, 10:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
Stop wasting Your Time. If you have No Spark You Need a Coil. Won't break the Bank. 11 Bucks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ignitio...471c5d47a5ed7b
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2019, 04:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 116
Garage
+1 on the coil, but I would first remove the ground wire from the coil and check for a spark. It is possible that the grounding wire is bared and grounding out somewhere other than the designated engine stop connection. Also check that you have a proper gap from coil to pickup and surfaces are clean, sometimes it can get reduced due to corrosion, etc.

Just a thought to be thorough.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2019, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmels View Post
Stop wasting Your Time. If you have No Spark You Need a Coil. Won't break the Bank. 11 Bucks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Ignitio...471c5d47a5ed7b
Yes, thanks for the link. I know these aren't expensive (at least the ones from 3rd parties)...I've already looked. Well, I'm a bit on the fence about this, because I have a spark sometimes, which is why I wanted to see if I could test it first. I'm not sure if a bad coil could also mean a "sometimes spark" condition. I'm assuming an ignition coil could only be working intermittently if it's going bad, so that it doesn't need to be either always a spark or no spark ever, but am not 100% sure about this. Can anyone confirm?
post #5 of 5 Old 09-13-2019, 05:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan55 View Post
I'm assuming an ignition coil could only be working intermittently if it's going bad, so that it doesn't need to be either always a spark or no spark ever, but am not 100% sure about this. Can anyone confirm?
Snowman,

For sure, any solid state circuitry can become intermittent for some indefinite period of time, until it outright "gives up the ghost" entirely. This is particularly true of circuits that are subjected to extremes of temperature change. When your snowblower is sitting outside in the winter, that module is pretty darn cold. After the engine is running for a while it will naturally heat up. On many types of power equipment, the module is located adjacent to the flywheel, not only to generate a voltage from the rotating magnets, but also so that it can benefit from the air stream produced, to prevent it from overheating.

I have a machine right now that fires right up on the first pull all the time. Will run like a champ until I stop it or it runs out of gas. If you immediately start it back up again-- no problem, but if you wait until after it has been shut down for maybe five minutes, it will refuse to start back up.

Now, why would this be?

Well, what has happened is, the cooling effect from the flywheel is obviously no longer there, but the module is attached to the frame of a very hot engine. The heat migrates its way back to the flakey module and causes a failure. Allowing it to cool for an hour or so, and it fires right back up on the first pull.

So can a failing module act in an intermittent fashion?
He11 yeah.....

Jack's right......grab another one. If it turns out to be a grounding or other wiring issue which may take you more time to troubleshoot, then worse case is you have an extra module that set you back less than 15 bucks.

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jackmels liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page