Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 824 - Interlock Issue

Hey all,

I have a Toro 824 Snowblower circa late 80s. I obtained it from a nearby neighbor who’d upgraded to a new model.

Anyhow, upon receipt the engine wouldn’t start and a diagnosed it down to the point where I was checking the magneto. In the process of detaching the Interlock from the engine housing, there was a spark. Keeping the interlock detached allows for there to be a spark and the engine run fine.

The engine starts regardless of anything else (key position on or off) as long as the interlock is detached. To shut off the motor, I touch the interlock to the frame.

I don’t know much about electrical systems. But I’d love to get the machine to turnoff with out touching the interlock.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by msptoro824; 09-15-2019 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Title update, add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 05:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
I am not familiar with an 80's Toro, but typically the magneto has 2 wires, power and ground. The ground is connected to a switch, the ign key switch and/or the carb linkage. Perhaps what you are calling the interlock is the carb linkage, but that should be mounted to the engine and not be capable of being moved to a chassis part. The throttle control on older machines usually has a high speed setting and a low speed setting and then an engine off setting where the throttle lever with attached magneto grounding wire comes into contact with the grounded part of throttle base mechanism and grounds the magneto to the engine. There is usually a grounding wire from the magneto attached to the ign switch so that in ON position the magneto is not grounded and the ignition OFF position the magneto is grounded to the engine.

It appears the magneto grounding wire is not attached to the ignition switch but is attached to the "Interlock" that does not have a grounding feature built in. I would move the grounding wire from the interlock to the ignition switch.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Old 09-16-2019, 06:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1178
If you are talking about that handle interlock. RIP The BLOODY THING OFF of there. parts are now NLA 4 it.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2019, 07:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 124
msptoro824,

When you said that it didn't matter whether the switch was on or off, I immediately thought the contacts for the switch are somehow shorted together, or the wiring to the switch is shorting somewhere to the frame and therefore it wouldn't matter what position the switch is in.

As such, you'd expect the machine not to start, because if the switch is shorted, it is like having it set to the "off" position all the time.

When the switch is not shorted, and working correctly, in the "off" position, it links that wire going to ignition module to ground. Therefore, no spark.

When you disconnected that wire you took the switch out of the circuit. Now the module isn't grounded out all the time, and you get spark.

If it's otherwise working ok, and you have to touch that wire to the frame or engine block to shut it down, you could either find a replacement for the switch, or if it's not available anymore, you could always just connect that wire to a toggle switch mounted somewhere convenient, then back from the other terminal on the switch to a good ground.

Just remember if you do that, if the toggle switch has in indicator plate to show on and off, your machine will regard the toggle position the opposite of what the indicator says.....lol. In other words, if the toggle switch indicates it is off, the engine will run. If the toggle switch indicates "on", that means the wire to the igniton module is grounded, and the engine won't run.

I did something similar with an old mower for which I could no longer get parts. That old thing is still running, even though my add-on toggle switch looks a little goofy......

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in