post #1 of 10 Old 09-26-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman Drive Belt

Hello,

A friend of mine gave me a Sears Craftsman C950-52677 8/25 snowblower. I fixed up some engine issues and got it running, but noticed the traction drive wasn't working. I pulled the belt cover off and discovered that the drive belt is basically just flopping in the wind. Can someone tell me if I am missing a part / how the drive belt pulley is supposed to be configured for this model? I've been searching online to no avail and I can't seem to find a machine that looks like mine. I've included a picture below. The pulley that is floating in the wind is on the the right side above the large center pulley. You can see how the belt has no tension whatsoever. I purposely removed the auger belt for this photo.

Thanks!
Cody
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-26-2019, 05:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyyCVPI View Post
Hello,

A friend of mine gave me a Sears Craftsman C950-52677 8/25 snowblower. I fixed up some engine issues and got it running, but noticed the traction drive wasn't working. I pulled the belt cover off and discovered that the drive belt is basically just flopping in the wind. Can someone tell me if I am missing a part / how the drive belt pulley is supposed to be configured for this model? I've been searching online to no avail and I can't seem to find a machine that looks like mine. I've included a picture below. The pulley that is floating in the wind is on the the right side above the large center pulley. You can see how the belt has no tension whatsoever. I purposely removed the auger belt for this photo.

Thanks!
Cody
The belt won't have any tension on it until you engage the lever.

Last edited by IowaNick; 09-26-2019 at 05:10 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-26-2019, 05:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Received): 92
I believe that the cable from the handle should be held down to engage, and thus releasing it would disengage, as supposed you fell … a safety setup … maybe missing an idler spring return or some cable adjustment?

Ill have to look that model schematic up later.

Most setups are pretty simple and common sense … just follow the rods, cables brackets, etc.... and you can get an understanding for how it operates .. but then again, I am pretty mechanically inclined, which not all people are.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks CodyyCVPI thanked for this post
post #4 of 10 Old 09-26-2019, 05:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
I believe that the cable from the handle should be held down to engage, and thus releasing it would disengage,
Correct. The drive lever has to be engaged otherwise that belt stays slacked and idles.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-26-2019, 05:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
BTW, looks like your missing the tension spring for the drive idler bracket as well. ???? again, I'll have to look up the schematic.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-26-2019, 05:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Get it running, and then put some nice XTrac or SnowHog Tires on that baby....

BTW, make sure the augers or free spinning on the shaft, as I just had a heck of a time freeing them up on a Sears someone gave me.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-26-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks everyone for the fast replies. That was my thought as well, that I am missing some sort of spring for the drive idler bracket. I'm just not sure what it is supposed to look like as far as attachment points and I don't see where the handle control comes into play. Right now, the traction drive handle doesn't affect anything in the belt area. However, the auger handle does properly actuate the mechanism for it in the belt area. If someone does find a schematic that would be awesome!
post #8 of 10 Old 09-26-2019, 05:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
That drive idler pulley is always engaged with a spring. It is the friction disk that is usually stationary and when you hold down the drive lever on the handle bar, the drive disk is usually brought in against the friction disk, which drives your wheels depending what forward or reverse gear you are in.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-26-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So I'm assuming the spring should connect on the bracket hole where I circled it in red in this pic? Where does it attach on the other side?

post #10 of 10 Old 09-27-2019, 07:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
On many machines, that tension spring usually attaches to a hole in the side frame ... any stationary spot.

The purpose of the tension spring is to keep constant pressure on the drive belt with the idler pulley.

Have you pulled the pan to see what it contains, usually any spring, bolt or other piece that came off or broke will be in the frame pan.

Looking at that machine, I am going to reiterate on the importance of checking the augers. If they are rust welded on the shaft, you will want to free them up, or there is a good chance you will brake something in the auger gear box instead of the intended shear pin, unless it already has.

Last edited by oneacer; 09-27-2019 at 07:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page