LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Troybilt Artic Storm 34 oil capacity

Hello--the owner manual says its 37oz of oil but I put that in it and its over the (H) mark--would anyone happen to know the exact amount of oil for the Troybilt Artic Storm 34?--Thank you

Last edited by perrygus77; 10-08-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 08:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Received): 81
If the manufacturer tells you 37oz, then I would go with that. If you have doubts or questions concerning what they tell you, I would call them, maybe they had a batch of bad dipsticks?

Wow ... 2000.00 for a snowblower .... I am so thankful for my older Ariens machines, as well as my Yardman and a Craftsman.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 05:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 144
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 253
IMPORTANT: Some engines are shipped with oil already in the engine, others without oil already in the engine, others partially filled. It is very important to check the oil level before operating the engine and to add oil if necessary. Running the engine with insufficient or excessive oil can cause serious engine damage and void the engine warranty.

Read page 5 of your engine (not owners) manual: "NOTE: Do not overfill. Overfilling with oil may cause smoking, hard starting, or spark plug fouling."

Drain it until the dipstick shows full. I recently took my BMW in for an oil change and they put in 8.5 quarts of oil, not the correct 6.2 "because their computer told them to" (for a diesel, not a gas engine). It was 1/2" high on the dip stick, and the cats both got fouled. It took 6 months to burn them clean again.

Last edited by tabora; 10-08-2019 at 05:18 PM.
post #4 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 06:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 31
Likes (Received): 81
@tab,

You experienced some bad technician human error.

I am sure that the oil capacity for that vehicle has proper recommendations from the manufacturer, BMW.

footnote ... I also heard of a vehicle that left a place after an oil change ... blown engine down the road, the technician drained, but it never got refilled.

While humans rule this earth, nothing is absolutely, 100% foolproof.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-08-2019, 06:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 144
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
I am sure that the oil capacity for that vehicle has proper recommendations from the manufacturer, BMW.
Yes, as I mentioned, they apparently put in the amount for the 325d M57 diesel, not my 325xi M54 gas engine, and then they didn't check the dip stick.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-09-2019, 05:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 348
Likes (Received): 161
That Artic Storm should be one kick a$$ machine. Post some pics when you can and hopefully you can do a review on that bad boy. As far as the oil level, rarely do I have to put in the amount it says in ounces I always use the dip stick measurements as typos are possible in manuals.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #7 of 7 Old 10-09-2019, 12:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrygus77 View Post
Hello--the owner manual says its 37oz of oil but I put that in it and its over the (H) mark--would anyone happen to know the exact amount of oil for the Troybilt Artic Storm 34?--Thank you
I own it's cousin in black & yellow (Craft Pro). Mine came with oil already in it, which I used for a few hours before changing. Yes the manual states 37.2 oz of 5w-30.

When I changed, I warmed it up, drove it into the back end of my van so I could easily tip it back and drain, however what I noticed is when it seemed to be completely drained, I let it down to sit for about a minute and tilted back again and about another oz or 2 came out of it. This could be why yours is registering over, because I did measure out and put 37 oz's in and it was fine. I think if the machine is leaned back to far some of the oil gets trapped and doesn't drain out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page