Engine dies after 3-4 minutes (Tecumseh HSSK50) Ė what could be the problem? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 10-08-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Engine dies after 3-4 minutes (Tecumseh HSSK50) Ė what could be the problem?

Hi - I've recently replaced the ignition coil and the engine (on Ariens 524, model 932036) now starts great (with a new spark plug). However, after trying to test it for a longer period, after about 3-4 minutes of idling, it gradually starts sputtering, which gets progressively worse until it eventually dies. At this point, the engine is already warmed up and the choke is off. It refuses to start for about a minute, then starts up again with no issues, but then usually the same sequence repeats itself. I donít have a lot of experience with these engines, but am guessing the issue is something with the carburetor. This happened occasionally even in the past, even before I replaced the ignition coil (and during operation, not just idling), so Iíd doubt itís related to that.

Iím not sure if this could be related, but I have noticed that compared to my second snow blower (Craftsman 5.0/24 with the same engine), which I bought recently as a backup, the throttle on the Ariens opens much less, even on full. The little screw on the outside of the carburetor that regulates how much the throttle opens seems to be preventing it from opening fully. I donít know the history of this snow blowerÖbought it used last year, so am not sure why it would be set this way.

The second thing Iíve noticed is that the fuel valve seems to be sitting a bit low, so that the fuel line going to the carburetor is sloping slightly upwards. Iím attaching a picture of this. Could the problem be that there isnít enough fuel pressure? I donít have a lot of gas in the tank. I canít be sure, but it seems to be the original fuel valve. Unfortunately, I canít compare it the Craftsman snow blower, because that doesnít have a fuel shut off valve (probably something I could and maybe should add, but thatís a separate topic).

Can anyone suggest how to troubleshoot this? What could be the possible causes of this? Where would I even begin? Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel valve.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	157587  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-08-2019, 03:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 225
Maybe the gas cap is not venting properly.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks SnowMan55 thanked for this post
post #3 of 21 Old 10-08-2019, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 225
Try running with the cap off.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Miles liked this post
post #4 of 21 Old 10-08-2019, 03:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 52
May want to also check for spark, since the coil is new. New one could be bad, and once it heats up, goes open.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #5 of 21 Old 10-08-2019, 04:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 181
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 626
Both suggestions are right on.......I just cured a headscratcher by replacing the cap....after cleaning the carb 4 times!
post #6 of 21 Old 10-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 126
Likes (Received): 266
I had 2 machines doing the same, However BOTH had fuel filters on them, One I put because the tank was recently cleaned out from rust and just wanted to make sure nothing was left to get into the carb and the other had one from the seller I got it from, Removed the one that was already there and amazingly no longer stalls, Going to take the one I put in out as it does the same and should NOT be stalling as I have been through that machine fully, Rus great for 3-5 minutes too LOL I think the filters are too restrictive and the bowl get empty and stalls them.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-08-2019, 06:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 181
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 626
On gravity feed systems always use the RED Briggs and Stratton filters.....found out the hard way.......
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #8 of 21 Old 10-08-2019, 06:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 128
Snowman55,

You've already got a bunch of good suggestions here to start trying to narrow this down....

Don't worry about the upwards tilt of that fuel line. I've had several machines with lines like that, and they've never been an issue.

I would suggest one additional thing though:

If I had a machine that was doing that, I'd certainly try pulling the gas cap when it starts to sputter, and if that didn't work, I'd probably remove the fuel line from the outward side of the valve, and drain every bit of that gas into a glass container. You could have a glob of water in that tank, that keeps moving around, around the bottom of the tank as you move the machine. When it moves over the outlet of the tank, the vacuum will start sucking water, and then engine will sputter or just stall out.

And don't think because you just put in fresh gas that it's not a possibility. Firstly, you could already have had a little water in that tank, before you put in the fresh gas, and secondly, you can get water in your gas right from the pump sometimes, particularly from older gas stations.

See, frustrating as this problem is, the good thing here is the engine starts up o.k. and runs normally even when the choke is open, so you know that means there's nothing seriously wrong with the machine. You're either losing spark when its warmed up, or it's starving for fuel because of no venting, or you've got fuel contamination.

There's some other possibilities too, like an exhaust valve that sticks, once the machine is warmed up, or a float that sticks when it the machine is hot--- but go with the more common issues first.

If you're looking for guarantees in life, buy yourself a toaster.
--- Clint Eastwood
post #9 of 21 Old 10-08-2019, 07:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
On gravity feed systems always use the RED Briggs and Stratton filters.....found out the hard way.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSnow View Post
Snowman55,
If I had a machine that was doing that, I'd certainly try pulling the gas cap when it starts to sputter, and if that didn't work, I'd probably remove the fuel line from the outward side of the valve, and drain every bit of that gas into a glass container. You could have a glob of water in that tank, that keeps moving around, around the bottom of the tank as you move the machine. When it moves over the outlet of the tank, the vacuum will start sucking water, and then engine will sputter or just stall out.
See, frustrating as this problem is, the good thing here is the engine starts up o.k. and runs normally even when the choke is open, so you know that means there's nothing seriously wrong with the machine. You're either losing spark when its warmed up, or it's starving for fuel because of no venting, or you've got fuel contamination.

There's some other possibilities too, like an exhaust valve that sticks, once the machine is warmed up, or a float that sticks when it the machine is hot--- but go with the more common issues first.

These guys do really know what they're talking about. Pay attention!

+1+2
post #10 of 21 Old 10-08-2019, 10:04 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 199
Checkfor an old fuel line that is breaking down and releasing fine particulate into the carb. Suction through the jet causes the crap to build up, and it dies. Shut down for a few, the crap washes free, and the cycle repeats . . . dealt with this last year. New hose, tank rinse and carb clean, and it's been 100% since!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page