Auger gear case Ė how to disassemble with two damaged screws (missing heads) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-09-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Auger gear case Ė how to disassemble with two damaged screws (missing heads)

I've recently discovered a small drip from the auger gear case and have already asked on here for advice. As I was getting ready to disassemble the auger assembly, I noticed another problem: there are four bolts with nuts holding the two halves of the gear case together, plus two smaller screws - one on top, one on the bottom. The smaller screws both have the screw heads missingÖall I can see is about two threads sticking out of the other side. Iím attaching a picture of this. It looks like someone might have overtightened them and simply twisted the heads off. They are broken off inside the gear case hole, so other than the two threads sticking out on the other side of the gear case, there is nothing to grab and try to get them out. This is a used Ariens 524 machine I bought last year and donít know any history of it. Unfortunately, I didnít notice this issue when buying.

I have a small oil leak from the gear case. One of the side oil seals on the shaft leaks a little, but thereís another small leak from the gasket between the gear case halves, right at the point of the bottom screw that has the missing head. Iím not sure if this is the reason for the leak, but Iím guessing it could be at least contributing, because Iím pretty sure whatever is left of the screw with the missing head isnít very tight.

My question is: is there any way I can get the two damaged screws out (with reasonable effort and expense)? It seems that trying to drill the screws out might do additional damage to the gear case (or at least the threads). Right now, the case just leaks oil a bit, but the snow blower works pretty well. Iím afraid if I try to get them out and am not successful, it might loosen up even more and make things worse.

Is this hopeless? Should I just live with the leak, knowing that if the gear case ever needs to be opened and serviced, Iím basically done? Iíd really appreciate any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	157605   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	157607   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	157609   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	157611  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 319
Likes (Received): 626
Easiest thing to do is to Fill with 00 Grease. It is Thicker than oil.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks SnowMan55 thanked for this post
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #3 of 23 Old 10-09-2019, 05:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 93
I second what Jackmels has said .....

As long as it's working fine, and just a slight leak, leave it alone, and get yourself some "00" grease, unscrew the fill plug, and squirt it in there until it starts coming out the fill hole ... "00" grease is pretty fluid ... ... you can get a quart of it at Tractor Supply for around 5.00 or 6.00.

I would not take the augers off and impeller shaft, unless something is broke. If you ever have to take it apart because something broke, that's when you deal with any bolt issues.

Last edited by oneacer; 10-09-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jackmels, orangputeh liked this post
post #4 of 23 Old 10-09-2019, 06:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 161
Likes (Given): 62
Likes (Received): 571
I third what Jack and Oneacer said.....In order to fix right you'll have to totally dismantle and drill out and retap the bolts....Nah......
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #5 of 23 Old 10-09-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
I second what Jackmels has said .....

As long as it's working fine, and just a slight leak, leave it alone, and get yourself some "00" grease, unscrew the fill plug, and squirt it in there until it starts coming out the fill hole ... "00" grease is pretty fluid ... ... you can get a quart of it at Tractor Supply for around 5.00 or 6.00.

I would not take the augers off and impeller shaft, unless something is broke. If you ever have to take it apart because something broke, that's when you deal with any bolt issues.
Thanks for the tips. I guess as far as my prospects of fixing it, it doesn't sound like there's an easy fix. Can I just mix the 00 grease with what's in there now (assuming Ariens L2 oil)? There's no good way to fully drain it. I could maybe get some of it out by tipping it, but I'm pretty sure some of the old stuff will stay in the gear case.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-10-2019, 09:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 89
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 406
Garage
I might try a construction adhesive over the area that is leaking or something similar, whatever you have around and open, cleaning the area well prior. Right now I'm liking Liquid Nails Fuze It.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #7 of 23 Old 10-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 319
Likes (Received): 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan55 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I guess as far as my prospects of fixing it, it doesn't sound like there's an easy fix. Can I just mix the 00 grease with what's in there now (assuming Ariens L2 oil)? There's no good way to fully drain it. I could maybe get some of it out by tipping it, but I'm pretty sure some of the old stuff will stay in the gear case.
As Long as it is still working, Fill with 00 grease and forget it. The leak will eventually Stop. Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff, and Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes cranman liked this post
post #8 of 23 Old 10-10-2019, 09:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 93
" Don't Sweat the Petty Stuff, and Don't Pet the Sweaty Stuff."

That is a great saying as you go through life .... (a big thumbs up .. )
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jackmels, Dauntae liked this post
post #9 of 23 Old 10-10-2019, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLawrence08648 View Post
I might try a construction adhesive over the area that is leaking or something similar, whatever you have around and open, cleaning the area well prior. Right now I'm liking Liquid Nails Fuze It.
I've thought of this as well, but was more thinking of using a gasket maker compound, but I was not sure if that would do anything when applied to the outside of the gear case. Your suggestion to use a construction adhesive might work better, but my concern with both is that I can't really stop the leak, even when I tilt it. I read the directions for the stuff you suggest....the drying time is pretty long (hours...and days for full effect). By that time, some oil will for sure leak out and the compound won't be cured yet. In any case, I suppose it's worth trying. Thanks for the tip.
post #10 of 23 Old 10-11-2019, 12:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 84
Those look like dowel pins, aligning the case halves together. I don't believe they are broken bolts. They may seep a little, but shouldn't be a detrimental leak, as long as the other bolts are tight. The seals don't look terrible. It is possible to drain out the gear case, probably a good idea at this point. Take out the fikk plug and tip it on the face of the tub. Let it drain for a couple days. You can then flush with a bit of Brake Cleaner, then drain that out, again by tipping the machine on the face of the tub. Then fill slowly with the Ariens "00" grease.

GLuck, Jay
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page