LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-09-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Vintage Ariens 10M-L60 Gearbox Repair

I have an old Ariens snow thrower - I think it is a model 10M-L60 or 10-M-L60D (6HP Techumseh H60-75003F engine SN: 6179). It has been sitting in the garage since I picked it up from a friend maybe 10 or 15 years ago. As I recall the problem is a broken gear or other problem in the Auger gearbox, but I never took the gearbox apart. As I recall at that time the engine ran fine, impeller spun, but no action on the augers.

Is there any hope of finding parts to replace or repair the gearbox at some reasonable cost or should I junk it or break it down for spare parts to help someone else with their vintage machine? It seems better built and heavier duty than the (2) MTD machines that I have and use each winter?

Where might I find parts for such an old machine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens Gear Box - Small Pic.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	157617  

Last edited by Omni; 10-09-2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Add picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-09-2019, 02:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Received): 289
I have a 10M6, as well as a 10M4, both with new engines, .... one I put a new Briggs on with electric start years ago for the wife, and the other I put on a Predator, which actually I like better than the Briggs. I also have a couple of the newer 924's as well as a Craftsman and a 7100 Yardman, which is my beast for the really heavy stuff.

You might get lucky and it has missing or sheared shear bolts. Those gear boxes are very heavy duty, and stand the test of time, not like the aluminum clam shell ones .... unless of course someone used grade 8 bolts as shear pins, or the augers are rust welded on there shafts.

Sitting 15 years, you might have to empty the gas tank and change the carb, but a new one is only like 12-13.00 ..... check the gas lines as well for cracks and age.

Those units are certainly quality, not like the tin and plastic of today.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-09-2019, 03:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 75
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 647
If worth saving, buy a parts machine with junk engine for $25 , and just swap out the bucket and auger assembley. the chinese carb is a good option if your old one is to far gone from sitting, but try cleaning it first.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-09-2019, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 116
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 384
Likes (Received): 716
There is a Roll Pin Holding the Helical Gear on the Shaft that Sometimes Breaks, and it's Not the Gears. I've seen it More Than Once. You might want to post Your Location; someone local might have parts or a donor machine.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Received): 16
I have a similar machine with the same gearbox as yours. 2 years ago I was using it and the blower rakes stopped turning. I also thought the gearbox was toast. I posted my problem on the forum, and Jack Mels noted the roll pin in the gearbox. I took the blower housing off, and took it apart, so I could access the gearbox, which I could now take apart. Sure enough, it was the roll pin. I got a new pin, and the gasket for the side cover from Jacks Small Engines. Been working ever since! Just take your time taking it apart, be sure to note the left and right rakes, as they have to go back exactly the same as they came out. You can access the roll pin with a punch through the gear oil plug holes. You can do it!

Last edited by Landngroove; 10-09-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Jackmels liked this post
post #6 of 6 Old 10-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 507
Thanks (Received): 355
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1247
ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page