LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-09-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
H50 head bolt questions

Greeting. I am doing a head gasket on my 1970 H50 and wanted to replace the aging head bolts, but have run into an issue. It seems, based on many online sites, there are three lengths of the bolts, but nobody can tell me how many of each of the listed lengths, 2", 2 1/4" and 2 1/2" would be required. Without specifics, I decided to remove the head, making note of position and length of the 8 bolts, but to my surprise, they were all 2 1/2", yep all eight of them. So I am hoping the masters on the board can help me with this dilemma, does length really matter? Now in researching this issue, I did run across this note: Engine models V50, H50, H60, H70, VH50, VH60, VH70 require a flat and a belleville washer on bolts numbered 1, 3, and 7. I can't for the life of me figure out what makes these specific bolts unique, so another question for the masters.

Just for reference, I did measure the depth of each of the bolt holes, and they all seemed to equal in depth. I really am stumped as to the various lengths that are offered. Comments and suggestions welcome, please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Please, anyone.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 05:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 254
Iíve only pulled one head off a 5 hp Tecumseh and really donít remember any being a different length, canít be sure though as itís been a while.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Dauntae,

Thanks for the reply. I am having a hard time figuring out why every online parts supplier shows multiple lengths and none show the flat and belleville washer that is indicated in the Tecumseh technician's handbook. Strange. I guess I am overthinking things (as I usually do) and will just go with what I removed, all 8 the same length of 2.5".

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 170
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 583
I would just make sure that the new bolts have sufficient threads in the block and go from there....you can see where the head casting is high or low and see that maybe you need longer bolts where it is high?
post #6 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 07:26 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 369
Likes (Received): 597
Garage
why not just use what ya have ? i cant see a reason to replace the headbolts....unless yer planing the head and putting a hot cam in it !

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
cranman, I put the head back on the block and measured the depth of each of the eight holes and they all specs the same. Now there are various tins that mount under each of those bolts so I didn't measure with those in place but figured it would impact the depth/length by that much. My conundrum began as I went looking for the bolts on line and ran into the diagrams showing the three different lengths. I just should have ordered what I had taken off and stop worrying about it, but my failure is worrying about everything. It's a 50 year old motor, starts religiously and I worry about screwing it up.

nwcove. Reason for replacement is the head of the several of the bolts showing signs of rounding, just didn't want to chance having one or two failing as I re-torqued the head.

Guys, again thanks for taking the time to respond.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 09:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 160
Likes (Received): 119
yohy: I have found the same dilemma on my HSK70 engine. The parts diagrams don't really show which length screw (head bolt) goes in which hole. They just list the various types and part numbers. And as you said, some of the bolts hold down other brackets too, which can act as a washer a bit maybe. I am now working on an HM80 that has no washers on the head bolts, yet all of the parts diagrams show some. On the HSK70 I just went with what was originally there, though I did replace a few of the head bolts since they were rounded over a bit, but I went with other used bolts of same length.

In summary, unless someone here knows for sure, just go with what was there in terms of washers. Replace as you see fit if they are rounded over.

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
post #9 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
paulm12, Thanks for your reply. You bring up another point, appears the original bolts weren't shouldered, so washers may have been needed. Now I see where everyone sells the bolts shouldered, which probably eliminates the need for washers (I think!). I think I have stressed enough and will just replace with what I took out. Ah, would have been a lot easier if I had just charged ahead and not worried myself into panic. A smart man once told me (that would be my dad), don't let best get in the way of better. Instead of overthinking, I should have just replaced and be done.

Guys, thanks for all of the replies, it is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page