LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-13-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Setimental

Grandfather passed away this year, just cleaning out his garage at the cottage and sitting in the corner is a moto mower snow shark 8. Have a fond memory of it chewing though the snow here with him back in the 80s. Looks like it’s in decent shape although it has 25 year old gas and inside of the fuel tank looks a little rusty. I dont know much about engines but would like to get this up and running for myself. I will have to send it in to get most of the work done as I don’t know much about engines. Would it be worth a waist of time getting it fixed? I’m assuming it probably needs the carb cleaned, new hoses and tank. Would anyone have an idea of what else it may need or potential problems. Compression sounds good but haven’t tested. Also did these snow blowers have a good reputation? Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-13-2019, 07:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
ALOHA From The Paradise City.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 10 Old 10-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 178
welcome. hard to say if it is worth fixing or not. the biggest issue is usually labor and possibly parts needed get it going. if you were to try cleaning up the fuel system and get the thing running it might be worth trying to get the engine running but if your going to pay someone to do work may just be better off paying someone to just toss a brand new predator engine on it and likely save yourself some money replacing parts and hoping there is no issue with it and just tossing money at a bad engine.

i don't know if this would be the same as yours but there are lots of video's showing how to clean or tune a carb. most of the time there is usually not much to it.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #4 of 10 Old 10-13-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks Mabye I will try to clean it. And replace the inline filter. That video isn’t the same as mine but looks very similar. Thanks
post #5 of 10 Old 10-13-2019, 08:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 157
Likes (Received): 119
I agree with crazzywolfie. Paying someone to troubleshoot and fix a 40 year old engine could cost way more than a new replacement engine. Many on here would try to fix themselves, but it will take time. And it still may not be worth it even if you get the engine running. I would guess it could cost $150 for carb clean, fuel lines and new tank from a shop. And then the blower itself will need a thorough checkup; bearings, chains, cables, gears, etc will all need cleaning and lubricating. Again, many on here could probably get the machine running, but to hire it out seems costly. Got any pictures of the condition?

Paul
----------------------------------------------------------------
1995 Toro 724, 1988 Toro 521
1980 Toro 421, 1995 Craftsman 524
1997 Toro CCR 2500 & 1994 Toro CCR Powerlite
post #6 of 10 Old 10-13-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the help everyone. There is no rust at all and was sitting in the corner hasn’t moved in years. It’s actually in better shape than the pictures show. By the sounds of it so far I might be better off just putting a new motor on? If so what are the recommendations for new motors? And power. Thanks again. Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95DB0A45-7A65-42E8-91A5-F71150CCE589_1571010862453.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	157743   Click image for larger version

Name:	C66ED6BE-D8C3-4824-864D-119B3A7A5C18_1571010931651.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	157745  
post #7 of 10 Old 10-13-2019, 10:29 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 59
Myself, I'd carb clean it and try some fresh fuel *first*. Carb cleaning on these 0ld engines is typically bonehead simple if you can read and follow a procedure. Myself, unless it is worn out, I'd take one of those older engines any day over the marginal quality cheap Chinese stuff out there now . . . As I recall (we had one of these when I was a kid), most of the drive is off the shelf bearings and chains (well, other than a 2 speed drive transmission) and all I ever recall failing on ours were chains . . .

In any case, you have very little to lose trying to work on it, and it will give you valuable experience and skills moving forward. Just remember that very little requires excessive force, so just be careful not to break anything!
post #8 of 10 Old 10-14-2019, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 57
i would agree. might be worth you trying to get some fresh fuel into the carb and trying to start it up. as long as the old fuel hasn't dried up it is usually pretty easy to clean things up and get fuel where it needs to go. if it has a primer you could try pressing the primer till you have a bit of fuel drip on the ground. it it drips fuel it might even fire without opening up the carb.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #9 of 10 Old 10-14-2019, 08:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 134
I agree with the others, clean it up and try it out - you may be pleasantly surprised! Almost certainly the carburetor will need cleaning but they're pretty simple. Take your time, (and take pictures along the way so you can get it back together!) and don't force anything - use solvents to soak instead.

If it runs, change the oil soon after and then give it a general cleanup and oiling/lubrication.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-14-2019, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishingtime View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. There is no rust at all and was sitting in the corner hasn’t moved in years. It’s actually in better shape than the pictures show. By the sounds of it so far I might be better off just putting a new motor on? If so what are the recommendations for new motors? And power. Thanks again. Here are the pics
it looks great!

Here is my opinion of what has been discussed so far:

I would recommend *not* thinking about a new engine right now, not yet, because of the first word in this thread: Setimental.
IMO, the engine is an important part of the original machine, IMO chucking on a cheap junky predator engine just destroys the originality of the machine, and greatly cheapens the machine overall. and, IMO, most of the time it's unnecessary, and IMO..often just lazy.

and..the original engine is usually waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better quality and better-built that the cheap Harbor Freight predator engines.
IMO, the only reason to use a predator is if the original engine is actually, literally beyond repair. and, you also actually *need* to use this specific machine.

For me, if the engine was actually beyond my personal ability to fix (for now), and if this was my Grandfather's snowblower, I would rather just keep, stored in the garage or shed, and not use it..keep it complete..and maybe someday find a replacement engine of the same model and era.
or maybe learn the skills to fix it myself, 5 or 10 years down the road..
that would be so much *better* than putting a Predator engine on it..IMO.

IMO, putting a Predator engine on one of these vintage machines is like putting a Chinese engine from Walmart in your grandfathers 1965 Mustang.
its just wrong on so many levels..
(yes I know, you cant actually buy a cheap Chinese automobile engine at Walmart..not yet! im sure they are working on it though.)

but the original engine is probaly fine!
it probably just needs an oil change, fuel system clean, and probably a carb clean.
none of which is particularily difficult.
odds are good you can get it to run!

To me, this would be a case where your Grandfathers snowblower could be your "second" snowblower!
and your main snowblower is something much newer and much more utilitarian..and not at all sentimental.
If this is actually your very first snowblower, and if for some reason it cant be made to run reliably right now..make it your second snowblower!
work on it whenever you can, in the summer! because you dont need to rely on it to actually clear your driveway.

and keep it complete and original, just like it was when your Grandfather was using it.. It can be a sentimental timecapsule.
(which i think is the best thing to do with it, running or not)
if it doesnt run..meh..not a big deal, because you dont need it to run right now!
just keep as-is it for now.. and a new snowblower collector is born.

welcome!
Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 10-14-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt, Spindler liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in