LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 10-16-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Tires/tubes?

My old machines all seem to have what some call "lawn" tires. They don't have much traction in snow without chains. But chains are a pain. On the other hand the "snow" tires are claimed to have adequate traction without chains.

Since the old tires usually leak due to having sat flat, I have a choice between buying tubes (plus chains?) vs buying snowblower tires. Which would you suggest? Any particular model or brand most desirable?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 01:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by amuller View Post
Since the old tires usually leak due to having sat flat, I have a choice between buying tubes (plus chains?) vs buying snowblower tires. Which would you suggest? Any particular model or brand most desirable?
Current state of the art and the tire that all premium snowblower manufacturers use, is the Carlisle X-Trac. I have them on my Ariens Platinum and only have had problems when on ice (but then again, so do I).
Re:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Carlisle-...EaAnuIEALw_wcB

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine

Last edited by enigma-2; 10-17-2019 at 01:28 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 08:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 94
Go with the tubeless Xtrac ... these are what I use now, just make sure you clean your rims inside and out, fresh paint, and put in a new stem if needed. They make the stubby stem or the 9o degree (actually more like 45 degree) .....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	157803  
post #4 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So the Xtrac is better than the Snow Hog? How do they compare with chains?
post #5 of 7 Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 94
Chains are not needed, some people use chains on lawn tires, but that beats the **** out of the machine. Many years ago I tried chains, immediately took them off and put the proper tires on.

I have Snowhogs on many of mine, and they work just fine, but I have moved over to the beefier, and the more aggressive XTrac.
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
Chains are not needed, some people use chains on lawn tires, but that beats the **** out of the machine. Many years ago I tried chains, immediately took them off and put the proper tires on.

I have Snowhogs on many of mine, and they work just fine, but I have moved over to the beefier, and the more aggressive XTrac.

OK, I'm convinced. Will order a pair of Xtracs.

Thanks.
post #7 of 7 Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 122
Likes (Received): 67
Try to avoid chains as much as possible. They will destroy your drive-train in a short time from the shock of them when they hit the ground acting like a wedge between the tire and the ground every time they contact the ground. Not only that, they will tear up your tires causing premature wear, they can also tear up the ground surface and put scratch marks on it, especially if you have a newly sealed driveway.
When you are just pushing/freewheeling/coasting the snowblower with chains on it you will notice it in your handlebars/hands. Just think what that is doing to your drive train, your axle bearings, shaft bearings, drive chains and gears and the constant shock/jerking to the chassis frame and the shaking of the rest of the machine.
It would be different if they are mounted to a tractor that is plowing snow that drives on ice at a greater speed, but a walk-behind snowblower doesn't go that fast as you are hand controlling it. Those tires are just to propel it into the snow pile so it can do its work breaking up and throwing the snow away, not bulldozing it away like a snowplow would that would need the extra traction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page