New Ariens 28 Deluxe just assembled with lots of issues - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 10-30-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
New Ariens 28 Deluxe just assembled with lots of issues

Hey,

I just purchased a new 28 Deluxe from Home Depot and assembled last night.
It has a lot of issues, but probably all related. When started, with both handles out (not squeezed),
the auger turns and the wheels rotate. I can't stop it other than turning it off. Also, I can't
switch gears. With engine off I can't roll it (it locks). I'm guessing the cable tension is too high, causing it
to always be in gear, but I've tried loosining the cables
to no avail.

Any ideas? Is this normal to come so far out of whack adjustment wise?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 01:34 AM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 178
So you read the manual and built and adjusted it following it's procedure, or ? ? ?

Sounds more like incorrect assembly from here . . . .
post #3 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 05:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 51
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdove View Post
Hey,

I just purchased a new 28 Deluxe from Home Depot and assembled last night.
It has a lot of issues, but probably all related. When started, with both handles out (not squeezed),
the auger turns and the wheels rotate. I can't stop it other than turning it off. Also, I can't
switch gears. With engine off I can't roll it (it locks). I'm guessing the cable tension is too high, causing it
to always be in gear, but I've tried loosining the cables
to no avail.

Any ideas? Is this normal to come so far out of whack adjustment wise?

Thanks!
No it's not normal, and because it's happening to both the auger and traction after you adjusted then the odds are you are not properly adjusting them. You might be tightening the cables by mistake or misinterpreting the instructions.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #4 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 10:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Received): 126
As mentioned above, did you not read the manual before assembly, and also remove any and all packing material.

Your drive is engaged along with the impeller auger system.

Re-read the setup instructions, and start over the steps in assembly.

If that does not correct your situation, then have a relative or friend come over who has some mechanical ability and hands on know how, and have them look at it in person. Without seeing the unit in person and seeing how all the elements are put together with each other, real hard to spot the problem
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #5 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, I read the manual (if reading is the right word). Yes all packing supplies were removed. The thing that is odd
to me is there really aren't any adjustments to make upon assembly when it comes down to the handle. It came folded in half, so you remove bolts, straighten, put bolts back in, and your are done.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and my wife is a mechanical engineer... Was hoping it is something subtle like a
shipping nut that needs to be taken out.

Thanks,
post #6 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 11:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 120
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdove View Post
Yes, I read the manual (if reading is the right word). Yes all packing supplies were removed. The thing that is odd
to me is there really aren't any adjustments to make upon assembly when it comes down to the handle. It came folded in half, so you remove bolts, straighten, put bolts back in, and your are done.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and my wife is a mechanical engineer... Was hoping it is something subtle like a
shipping nut that needs to be taken out.

Thanks,
Sounds like the drive clutch and auger clutch are engaged. So perhaps the handlebars are not in the correct position relative to the cables. The cables should run in a straight line to the chassis mounting points. Perhaps they got caught up somewhere and applying tension to both clutches.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #7 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 12:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Work on one system at a time. First take a look at page 20 of your manual. That is the traction drive adjustment. Take off your belt cover and verify that "With traction clutch disengaged, check that the drive plate touches the stop bolt."
See Figure 32 and make sure that the drive plate is against the stop bolt. If when the traction lever is released the plate is not touching the stop bolt then an adjustment is needed. That's pretty easy to verify so I would start there and adjust the cable so that the drive plate does touch the stop bolt. Then that should fix the traction. After that is done we can move on to the auger.

post #8 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 12:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
Sounds like the drive clutch and auger clutch are engaged. So perhaps the handlebars are not in the correct position relative to the cables. The cables should run in a straight line to the chassis mounting points. Perhaps they got caught up somewhere and applying tension to both clutches.
Good point! This should definitely be checked ASAP!

post #9 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I bet it is something like this since both cables being too tight would explain all the
issues. But I really can't figure out how to adjust the handlebars. There doesn't seem to be any degrees of freedom to allow any kind of pivot of the handlebars. Two bolts each side that go into the chassis sets the angle, and I don't see any way to adjust/pivot at the handlebar upper assembly. But it has to be related to this. My bars are not parallel to the ground where I grip them. In addition, the long rod that goes from the upper assembly to the gearing to turn the snow directional output appears too long. I can't get the pin holes to line up. So either it came with the wrong rod or this is yet another indication the bars are not adjusted correctly. But how do you adjust them?
post #10 of 38 Old 10-31-2019, 02:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
I’m sure if you post a few good pics someone will be able to figure out what’s up with it. Congrats on the new machine and Much luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in