LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Unread 11-01-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Loud noise when blowing snow

Hi all. I am new to the forum and am looking forward to your comments and to be part of this community. Your assistance and comments are appreciated in advance.

I have a Craftsman Snowthrower Model # 536.886540 which was purchased in 1993. When the engine is idling and the Traction Drive and the Auger Drive is not engaged, the engine does not make a loud noise but is just idling. But when I engage the Auger Drive, I hear a loud noise which goes away until I engage the Traction Drive and move towards the snow and the Snowthrower begins to throw snow. When the Snowthrower begins to throw snow, the loud noise is continuous as the Snowthrower continues to throw snow. I stop throwing snow as the noise seems to indicate that something is wrong.

If any one of you fine people can help me determine what is the problem and what is causing that noise when throwing snow...well, I sure would appreciate your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Unread 11-01-2019, 04:00 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 564
If the noise is coming from the engine I imagine a crank bearing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Unread 11-01-2019, 04:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 44
Likes (Received): 131
Hard to tell, as I don't know where the sound is coming from.
post #4 of 24 Unread 11-01-2019, 05:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 120
Garage
It appears that at idle there is no problem noise and when you increase engine speed to full throttle there is still no problem noise. The problem noise occurs for a short time when the auger clutch is engaged and goes away. Then you engage the drive clutch and move toward the snow. The blowing of the snow causes the problem noise to be continuous.

That sounds like the impeller shaft bearing is loose (wearing away the bearing and bearing holder) and making a noise under load or allowing the impeller to touch the housing. But just a guess.

Check for movement (up and down or side to side) in the impeller shaft as a sign of a loose bearing. If the impeller is touching the housing there should be evidence of the contact.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tabora liked this post
post #5 of 24 Unread 11-01-2019, 08:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 30
Garage
What if engage traction but not impeller. Is there noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 24 Unread 11-02-2019, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. When I engage Traction Drive there is no noise...only when I engage the Auger Drive. The noise is continuous when the blower starts blowing snow. I will inspect the impeller shaft as recommended by "TOWN". The engine idles with no noise...just when the blower is under load blowing snow. If I can provide more detail to help to solve this problem, please let me know.

I welcome your continual thoughts and recommendations in the problem solving process. I am so grateful so thank you all again. Zenny
post #7 of 24 Unread 11-02-2019, 08:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 1
So you hear the noise momentarily when first engaging the auger. Once you start blowing then the noise is continuous.

Check your ribbon gear case for oil. If that's dry then that is most likely the issue. If not then a bearing in there or at the impeller or either end of the ribbon could be causing the issue. Once spinning it quiets down until it gets loaded from the snow. A mechanics stethoscope can help narrow the location down. Harbor freight has them for cheap, just be VERY careful when checking the ribbon gearcase so you don't get clothing caught in the ribbons.. Might be a good idea to have a helper pulse the engagement lever while you test areas for noise.
post #8 of 24 Unread 11-03-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks again for your comments. Notabiker...I am a DYI but certainly not as knowledgeable as you. So can you give me some idea as to where the "ribbon gear case" is located on my Craftsman Model 536.8876540 and how to check it for oil? Perhaps my Craftsman has a different name for the ribbon gear box. Thanks

And again thanks for all of your comments. Zenny
post #9 of 24 Unread 11-03-2019, 02:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
The "ribbon gear case" is located between the augers. Ribbon is another name for the augers. There is frequently a plug in the front or on top of the gear case that is used to check/add the lubricant. If you have a manual check it for the recommended type of lubricant (oil or grease).

Here is an example of the instructions for a Craftsman 536886480 gas snowblower.
(I couldn't find a manual for your machine.)

The auger gear box is lubricated at the factory and should not
require additional lubrication.
If for some reason the lubricant should leak out, or if the auger
gear box has been serviced, add Lubriplate GR132 Grease
or equivalent. Maximum 3-1/4 ounces, (92 grams) should be
used.

Remove filler plug D (Figure 22 and Figure 23), once a year.
If grease is visible, do not add. If grease is not visible, use a
piece of fine wire, like a dipstick to check if there is grease in
the gear box. Mobilux EP1 and Shell Aldania EP1 are
suitable equivalents.

1986 Toro 524 (Predator 212, Impeller Mod.)
1997 Toro 724
1997 Toro 824 Power Throw XL
post #10 of 24 Unread 11-04-2019, 08:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenny View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts and comments. When I engage Traction Drive there is no noise...only when I engage the Auger Drive. The noise is continuous when the blower starts blowing snow. I will inspect the impeller shaft as recommended by "TOWN". The engine idles with no noise...just when the blower is under load blowing snow. If I can provide more detail to help to solve this problem, please let me know.

I welcome your continual thoughts and recommendations in the problem solving process. I am so grateful so thank you all again. Zenny
Sounds like a bad impeller bearing, but if your lucky its only an idler pulley bearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in