post #1 of 4 Old 11-03-2019, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Not shitfting correctly

Ariens 824 (2002)

To get it to go in reverse I have to shift it up to the highspeed forward and them back down into reverse then the reverse gear will catch...but I only have highspeed reverse not the slower one
and when I put it into forward (slow setting) it is in a much higher speed so it really does not go in the slower forward speeds

I have it in the service position now and I see (using the gear shifter) when change some of the speed/direction settings, that the friction disc does not always move it will move for some of the faster forward settings but if I go back into reverse and change between the 2 reverse positions the friction wheel does not move at all
I also I notice I can move the friction disc back and forth with my finger and is just slides across the hex axle it moves freely as if the gear shifter doesn't need to be moved at all

I am in the process of replacing the Friction disc but am not certain this is going to fix my shifting issues

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-03-2019, 12:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 38
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 38
Likes (Received): 172
Garage
Clean and relube the hex shaft the friction wheel slides on first....
Than look to see where the " play " is in the shifter linkage. It's probably just adjusted incorrectly. Possibly depending on the age / past usage it might have worn or elongated pivot holes on shift linkages that need to be repaired. Start there first and see what your results are and post up the information. Good luck !!

Ariens 24" 910962 7HP
Ariens 24" 924117 Modified Pro 342cc / 15.50 GT.. Currently Under Construction and testing trials commenced .......
Ariens 32" 924044 Modified Pro 342cc / 16.50 GT
Ariens / Troy Bilt 36" Frankenblower 16HP
~~ And Lastly ~~
Ariens 32" 924??? Double auger & impeller 14HP v-twin BEAST !!!
Plans are being drafted, parts are accumulating in the pile......
post #3 of 4 Old 11-03-2019, 07:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I have replaced the Friction disc . Everything is cleaned and greased. I noticed that the disc (and carrier/bearing) unit has a lot of slop to it I can move it back and forth with my fingers about 1/2 inch in either direction in all speed/direction settings except Fast Forward. I still have the same shifting issues and I speculate it is due to this slop. The forks appear to be firmly connected to the rod and the internal rod end is seated . When I wiggle the disc the rod moved moves slightly but that slight movement translates to the slop I have described at the friction disc . This seems to have started when the original "pin" that secured the external linkage shoe to the external end of the shifting rod broke. I used a cotter pin to reconnect the shoe to the rod and that cotter pin was skinnier than the holes but it still kept everything held back together. I felt this permitted the rod to move slightly in the shoe . This year I have replaced that cotter pin with a screw and nut that is just about the same diameter as the holes..... but I still observe this slight left/right rod movement when I wiggle the friction disc as you look at the end of the rod in the shoe . So how do I get this sloppy action tightened up in order to get correct precise shifting ?

Last edited by ddec1123; Today at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page