Snowblower Forum banner

Belt Failure

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  badbmwbrad 
#1 ·
I'm doing maintenance on an old Ariens 22,000 unit including lubricating the transmission hex shaft, cleaning carburetor and changing oil. While traveling along the driveway (no snow, no load) with the auger engaged, the machine's auger drive belt failed. The belt appears to have broken at a burned spot because there are a several other cracks in the belt near where the belt broke.

I'm thinking the belt integrity was previously compromised from a stalled impeller and an engine PTO sheave which kept spinning and burned the belt in one spot.

#4 ·
The machine is a 6 HP Ariens compact model 922003 serial 014516 (built in 1973 according to Scott's Ariens page). I'd like to get a generic snowblower belt for it and need to determine the correct length of an OEM belt. There are no markings on the failed belt. I can't determine if it's an Ariens belt and if it's the correct length.

Is there a source of info for correct belt length on this machine?

PS My avatar shows a Honda Trail 90 (CT90). My bike is a scarlet red 1971 Honda CT90 K3). The exhaust valve tappet clearance closes up every ~1000 - 1500 miles because of no-lead fuel and high-speed operation. I use Lead Substitute for now and have a spare engine for later.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I believe the Ariens number for your auger belt is 72056. You can look it up here
https://www.ariens.com/en-us/manuals/download
Amazon shows that belt as 1/2" x 32"
https://www.amazon.com/Ariens-Snowblower-Belt-Replaces-72056/dp/B001KVV8FE
get a kevlar belt if you can, they are stronger than standard belts
Thanks so much! I'm shopping for a Stens True Blue Kevlar belt 248-032.

I learned the Stens' belt numbering scheme is as follows:
First number is the width 258 = 5/8", 248 = 4/8", 238 = 3/8".
The second number is the length 032 = 32"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.