Engine only starts with choke off instead of on - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Engine only starts with choke off instead of on

I probably started this thread wrong as I am a new member...please be patient with me. So instead of starting this thread in the Snowblower Repairs and Maintenance Forum I started the tread in the new member section. Sorry.

I am relatively new to the forum and glad to be part of this community. I have a Craftsman snowblower Model 536886540. Here is my predicament. My engine would only run with choke placed in the Full position. I went ahead and removed the Main Adjusting Screw Assembly and cleaned the carburetor bowl, the jet to include both of the holes in the jet until carburetor cleaner came out of both holes, and then installed the bowl and Main Adjusting Screw Assembly.

So now, the engine will not start with the Choke in Full position but will now only start in the Choke Off position with throttle control in Run position. I adjusted the carburetor according to my user manual.

Please, if you have any thoughts to help me out, I would sure appreciate it. Perhaps this is not a problem at all. I do not know. The manual says that to start a cold engine to follow the instructions below.

1. Move Throttle control to Run position
2. Rotate choke knob to Full choke position
3. Push primer button two time if temperature is 50F to 15F which is always the case.
4. When engine starts, release starter button and slowly rotate choke to Off position

Thank you all in advance.

Zenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2019, 11:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Since it starts, I would just leave it. The choke is just a system to aid starting. It does not directly affect engine performance.

2015 Toro Power Clear 721 R-C

Find me on MyTractorForum and MyLawnMowerForum!
Same username.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-16-2019, 12:42 AM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 202
Once it started, did you properly set the needles? The manual only gives a starting point close enough to get it to start (which it did), so that you can then set them correctly.
post #4 of 8 Old 11-16-2019, 12:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 47
The carb may be gummed up. Try adding some Sea Foam in the gas tank. Normal use is a ratio of 1 oz per gallon. You can double it to 2 oz per gal if its badly gummed.

Once mixed, run the blower to ensure the mix is carried throughout the carburetor the shutoff. Let it sit for a day for two the Sea Faom will (should) dissolve the gum.

I had a snowblower that would not ogle. Mixed in Sea Foam and let it sit for a week. (Mild weather). Idled perfectly afterwards.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
post #5 of 8 Old 11-16-2019, 10:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 702
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 1202
Likes (Received): 1205
Garage
What was the temperature when you started it? This happens all the time with Honda's. They don't need to be choked in mild weather most times. You may have cleaned it out well.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #6 of 8 Old 11-16-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hi all...As usual I am very impressed by your interest in my situation and your comments. I am not clear on the comment from Tadawson as to properly setting the needles. I cleaned out the two holes in the jet and that seemed to really help to improve the performance of the engine. Can you provide a little more clarification? Thank you.

Also, I will seriously consider the Sea Foam recommendation. The temperature was mild after all adjustments and cleaning when I started the engine and discovered that the engine would not start in the choke on position but will only start in the choke off position.

Thanks again and am looking forward to further comments and recommendations. I guess I am wondering whether or not I do or do not have a problem that needs to be addressed.

zenny
post #7 of 8 Old 11-16-2019, 01:22 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 69
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 202
I guess it depends on whether you have a carburetor with adjustable needles or not - I guess I assumed that this was an older model that did . . . if not, please ignore. If so, then there will be typically, both a high speed and an idle needle adjustment that you can set to determine fuel mixture, and the manual for your engine should give details. Honda engines at one point had a fixed main, but another supposedly "sealed" adjustment that was pretty trivial to access to adjust, and lately, the EPA has pretty much removed any ability to tune a small engine to local conditions.

When you stated "removed the main adjusting screw on the bottom of the bowl", that describes what sounds to me exactly as an adjustable main needle (needle, since the screw has a pointed "needle" tip that sits in a jet, and by turning the screw, you adjust the mixture).

If that is the case, then there is often another needle on the side of the carb (again, screw with pointed end . . .) to adjust the idle mixture.

If so, start it, warm it up, and turn the choke off. Then turn the main needle (bottom of the bowl) back and forth and find the two points when the engine starts to die. Set it in the middle of those two points. Throttle back to idle (if you have a full range throttle control) and do the same with the idle needle, and then go back and check both again. At that point, mixtures should be correct, and if you were previously over rich, things might start acting more normal. If not, no big deal - if it runs well, then it really does not matter how you start it!
post #8 of 8 Old 11-20-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hello all...thanks again for your comments. I followed and compared the instructions in my manual to those given to me by Tadawson...very similar. The snowblower seems to run just fine. So I believe that if the engine does not start with choke on but rather with choke off...then if it runs well then it really does not matter how it starts. I will go with this conclusion and continue to keep an eye on this starting situation as I move forward. Hopefully we will get some snow and I can begin to get a better feel if the engine and adjustments are ok.

Thanks again all...you are great and giving people and this is a great forum. Zenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page