Snowblower Oil change.. SYN or Reg? Blend? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
View Poll Results: OIL choices Regular, Synthetic or Blended? Other Switch?
Do you use Regular oil ? 8 25.00%
Do you use Synthetic oil? 22 68.75%
Do you use Blended oils? 0 0%
Or do you use what ever is at hand? 2 6.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Unread 11-19-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 67
Likes (Received): 15
Snowblower Oil change.. SYN or Reg? Blend?

So I was curious about who may use Syn vs reg oil on their small engines? I was also wondering if those who do try syn have you switched back to reg? I know that motorcycles highly discourage this for you may develop leaks on the seals.
I was also assuming that the syn would coat the walls and not allow the reg to lubricate the same.
My SB manual (Ariens 921 Series 28 inch) say syn is OK.
but I was just thinking about using reg 10-30. and sticking to that. I was also wondering where syn blends fit in?
Snowblower Oil change.. SYN or Reg? Blend?
I am sure this has been discussed plenty in the past!

Ariens Deluxe28+ AX414cc
Ariens ST824
Ariens 1970
Toro 724
Honda HS521
Cub cadet SS
Snowbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Unread 11-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 117
Likes (Received): 256
At the amount I use I just go synthetic, Use the same as I do in my truck and usually have leftover so I use it in the snow blowers also, synth also helps easier starting in the really cold days also IMHO.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes notabiker liked this post
post #3 of 23 Unread 11-19-2019, 12:27 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 370
Likes (Received): 598
Garage
i use syn 5-30.....but only after the recommended break in period if the equipment is new.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 23 Unread 11-19-2019, 12:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 98
When I repowered my 1971 Ariens back in 2011 with the Briggs And Stratton, I started using Castrol Edge Extended with Titanium Technology. I figured with the work that they do, I was not going to skimp and anything that might help her work easier. Now that I purchased the Ariens 2015 Pro 28 and with not knowing the oil history, I put Castrol Edge Extended perfomance Titanium Technology (20,000 miles) in her. Am I fooling myself, maybe, but I feel pretty assured.
post #5 of 23 Unread 11-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Received): 162
I use nothing but 5W30 Full Synthetic in all my equipment, summer and winter, old and new, all engines..... B&S, Tecumseh, Predator, Honda
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes LoganH liked this post
post #6 of 23 Unread 11-19-2019, 12:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-30 in all my small engines, summer and winter. Mobil guarantees the 0W-30 flows like a 0 weight synthetic when cold while meeting engine manufacturers spec for 5W-30 oil. It stands up to heat much better than regular oil. Regular oil flows slowly at cold temperatures.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes kenora, TooTall999 liked this post
post #7 of 23 Unread 11-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 126
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kielbasa View Post
When I repowered my 1971 Ariens back in 2011 with the Briggs And Stratton, I started using Castrol Edge Extended with Titanium Technology. I figured with the work that they do, I was not going to skimp and anything that might help her work easier. Now that I purchased the Ariens 2015 Pro 28 and with not knowing the oil history, I put Castrol Edge Extended perfomance Titanium Technology (20,000 miles) in her. Am I fooling myself, maybe, but I feel pretty assured.
The extended mileage oils have additional additives to neutralise the combustion chemicals over a longer period of time. Unfortunately the extra additives replace some oil while working to keep surfaces lubricated. So you get lower oil performance over a longer period of time. Extended life of the oil is probably not a great idea for a snowblower that has oil changes within 40 hours of operation or if less than each year. May help if oil is hardly ever changed.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #8 of 23 Unread 11-19-2019, 01:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Received): 98
So... my thinking is probably not too wise? What do you think I should be using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
The extended mileage oils have additional additives to neutralise the combustion chemicals over a longer period of time. Unfortunately the extra additives replace some oil while working to keep surfaces lubricated. So you get lower oil performance over a longer period of time. Extended life of the oil is probably not a great idea for a snowblower that has oil changes within 40 hours of operation or if less than each year. May help if oil is hardly ever changed.
post #9 of 23 Unread 11-19-2019, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 64
Likes (Received): 590
I use 5-20 synthetic when I have it and 5-20 dino when I don't
post #10 of 23 Unread 11-19-2019, 07:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 47
A few years ago I had my Simplicity tractor in for service (Briggs Professional engine) and asked for synthetic oil to be used in the change.

The dealer refused, stating that dino was required to allow the rings to seat properly. (He may have also mentioned the babbet bearings as well).

I corrected him by stating that it allowed synthetic in the owners manual. He pulled up a copy of the manual on the Simplicity website. It clearly stated the synthetic was permitted. He still argued that it wasn't good for the engine as synthetic is "too slippery" and the engine needs several hours with dino juice so the friction could "set" the rings. So he called Simplicity Engineering.

We talked with a senior engineer who is responsible for the engines and the engineer stated that "only" conventional motor should be used during the break-in period. We told him what th he manual stated and he downloaded a copy.

Leaving out a particular phrase he used, he felt the people who developed the owners manual may have not understood the requirement properly and the mannual was wrong. When asked, he felt that 50 hours was needed for the rings to seat properly. I remember he felt the minimum was no sooner than the second oil change. (5 hours on the first, 20 hours on the second, 25 hours minimum).

I followed his advise and switched to Mobile One synthetic after the break-in interval.

As far as the change interval, I have a digital oil quality test meter that tests for acidity, water, dirt and metal particles (everything that contributes to the degeneration of the oil). Heres a link of what I use:

https://www.shopnewsport.com/product...xoCHgIQAvD_BwE

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in