LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-19-2019, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Stalling

I recently picked up (free) a 1963 10ML60D. It was not running but had good compression so what the **** I only have time to loose. I have rebuilt the carburetor replaced the fuel line and cleaned out the fuel tank. I have it running smoothly and it will run around with out the blower engaged. It runs well without a drop in rpm when I engage the blower but as soon as I put it into gear and release the clutch it stops immediately. I would be grateful for any proposed solutions.

Thanks
Otto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-19-2019, 03:39 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
Generally stalling when taking load means too lean. If the carb is adjustable, come out on the main needs about 1/8" of a turn and try again.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 66
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 114
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I recently picked up (free) a 1963 10ML60D. It was not running but had good compression so what the **** I only have time to loose. I have rebuilt the carburetor replaced the fuel line and cleaned out the fuel tank. I have it running smoothly and it will run around with out the blower engaged. It runs well without a drop in rpm when I engage the blower but as soon as I put it into gear and release the clutch it stops immediately. I would be grateful for any proposed solutions.

Thanks
Otto
Sounds like the engine runs fine when the wheel drive is selected (Red text) or the blower alone is selected (Blue text), but stalls when both are engaged at same time (Yellow text). So is the engine set to full throttle and does the engine sound like it is running at 3,600 rpm?

As well as a mixture issue, there is also the possibility of a governor issue. The throttle lever at idle has no tension on the governor spring of any account so engine stalls under light loads. As the throttle lever is opened the governor spring is tensioned and engine speed increases until full throttle is achieved. Usually this is about 3,600 rpm and the engine and exhaust are usually quite loud. So perhaps there may be a problem with throttle lever travel or spring tension so governor is not able to adjust engine speed to engine load. There is usually a second connection on the governor arm that connects to the throttle plate on the carb of the engine. This thin wire connection has a number of possible holes in the carb throttle control. So as the hand throttle is moved from idle to full throttle (engine off) the carb throttle moves to the full throttle stop position. There is usually a screw at the low throttle position to adjust the idle speed. When the engine fires up the carb throttle plate is moved to adjust engine speed. Sometimes it is possible after removing the carb to not get that carb throttle connection in the correct hole and the governor does not function to adjust engine speed to the load effectively. That is when stalling can occur.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page