post #1 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 3
Auger belt for old MTD/Mastercraft 8/26

Hi everyone,

Last winter a family friend gave me an old Mastercraft (Canadian Tire brand here in Canada) 8/26 snowblower that was made by MTD, probably in the late 70s early 80s. The model number on the tag is 319-825-515, but I haven't been able to find any parts manuals or other information for that model online. I got it running last winter, but discovered it had the wrong spark plug and fuel filter on it. So I don't think the previous owner maintained it very well or used the correct parts.

I'm trying to get it ready for this winter and wanted to replace belts. It came with a spare drive belt MTD part # 754-193 that appears to be correct, but I can't figure out what the correct auger belt should be. The belt that came off it is cogged and measures about 44.5" outside diameter, but any numbers are worn off it and it looks like it might be stretched a bit. I also don't want to assume that this is the correct belt, since other parts on the machine were incorrect. But it was throwing snow, so it must be close.

It also came with the original operating instructions, but there is nothing in there about belts.

Any suggestions for finding the right auger belt for this machine? I've attached a few pics.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116-snowblower-repair-4900.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	159327   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181013-mastercraft-26-snowblower-4637.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	584.8 KB
ID:	159329  

Last edited by streetcore; 11-19-2019 at 03:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 04:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 549
By cogged, do you mean serrated on the inside? If so, I have never used or seen a serrated belt on a snowblower, but I guess you never know. I have always used the Gates Green Belts whenever I needed one. Strange that manual would not list a belt? I would take the old down to the store and have them measure it up for a new one if you can not locate the listed one.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
By cogged, do you mean serrated on the inside? If so, I have never used or seen a serrated belt on a snowblower, but I guess you never know. I have always used the Gates Green Belts whenever I needed one. Strange that manual would not list a belt? I would take the old down to the store and have them measure it up for a new one if you can not locate the listed one.
Thanks for the quick reply. I've attached a pic of the belt that came off the machine. I didn't think it looked right when I took it off and had never seen a cogged or serrated belt while searching for snowblower belts online. I'll probably take your advice and go match the length to a proper blower belt. The operating instructions are pretty basic and include assembly and starting instructions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_20191119_172834.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	159331   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20191119_172856.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	159333  

Last edited by streetcore; 11-19-2019 at 05:46 PM.
post #4 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 05:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
This is the exact one I use on many of mine:

post #5 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 145
Likes (Received): 501
I have a 1/2" segmented belt (for emergencies) that has also come in handy for measuring how long the "real" belt should be. I can try it out and then count the segments, divide by 2 and get the correct belt length in inches. So far, it has worked twice for me, even when the correct belt width was a little different.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	52233-02-1000.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	159335  
post #6 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 06:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Not for nothing, but I don't think that would last for a minute in a blower against its idler pully or tension … ..... just sayin … looks cool though …
post #7 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 06:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 145
Likes (Received): 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
Not for nothing, but I don't think that would last for a minute in a blower against its idler pully or tension … ..... just sayin … looks cool though …
I actually had it as emergency belt for the marinized 350 Corvette engines in my Carver, but since bringing it ashore I have used it successfully to measure the auger belt length on my Honda HS80 (long before I was a member here) and the deck belt on a Toro Zero Turn. I did not actually use it in either application. It's actually used in some pretty demanding industrial applications, though.

Oh, almost forgot: I've got a length of it on my mid-size milling machine, too. It doesn't slip at all in that application; much better than the original belt.

Last edited by tabora; 11-19-2019 at 07:44 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I went out and bought a 44" belt. It seems to fit all right, but while I was putting it on I noticed there was a lot of play in the pulley on the back of the auger housing. I think the bearing must be shot, so I may have discovered a bigger problem. I hope this is a common part :-(
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_20191119_212931.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	159341  
post #9 of 9 Old 11-19-2019, 10:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, its a pretty common issue … just make sure you soak/spray the nuts and shaft good with Trizol, or PB if no Trizol before dis-assembly , and use never-seize on re-assembling the pulley, …. Might want to check the augers as well for rust weld and general overall condition and proper shear bolts/pins, as well as grease up the auger shafts if so needed, so they are spinning freely before putting in the shear bolts/pins.

General overall maintenance is where a lot of people fail, which causes many issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page