Chute direction crank is too loose on Craftsman 9HP - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 11-19-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 12
Garage
Question Chute direction crank is too loose on Craftsman 9HP

Hello, I thought I would ask what can be done for the crank handle being rather loose for the chute direction selection. It is a 17 year old Craftsman 9HP 29" with a Tecumseh engine. The thrower is model: 536.887990, engine 143.039003 (probably not necessary).

It rotates easily so much so, If my selection for direction, leaves the handle in the up position, the vibration of the thrower running makes it fall changing direction. When I first bought it it was snug and I mistakenly lubricated the universal joint, the gear mount bracket, and the eye bolt grommet.

Is there anything I can do to get some friction back so it stays in the direction I have set it?

Below is the parts image, key 861 is the grommet and the 852-* parts are the universal joint, gear, and bracket:

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 11-19-2019, 05:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 145
Likes (Received): 501
Go to the hardware store and get a new rubber grommet that fits the eye bolt and is snug on the shaft. I replaced the one on my HS80 every 10 years or so (3 times).
post #3 of 41 Old 11-19-2019, 05:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 549
It is normal to lube the universal knuckle joints, as they are metal on metal spinning all the time.

I am sure when it was new, everything tight, the grommet within the eyebolt was enough to keep things taut.

If you have issues with things so lose nothing stays, I would get a short black rubber tie down, hook on end way from the chute rod, around the chute rod, and back to the same or near the hook point … i.e., just enough so you can spin the chute, but yet enough to hold it there where you want it. You can also get fancy and grove 2 pieces of plastic, like a cutting board, and sandwich the rod in between, screw it down, thus creating a taut, yet movable rod. Many creative ways to do it, but the tie down is probably easiest and quickest.

Or as tabora states, try a new grommet.
post #4 of 41 Old 11-19-2019, 05:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 147
Likes (Received): 300
an easy fix would be to just rotate the eye loop on the handle so it pinches it so to speak and t won't spin so easily.

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Town liked this post
post #5 of 41 Old 11-19-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Thank you for the suggestions.
@tabora

Is it an easy job to replace the grommet, I presume I have to remove the hair pin (852-9) on the u-joint and pull the handle out to get the grommet off and reverse to install the new one?

2002 Craftsman 9HP 29" Electric Start Dual Stage

Last edited by Sgthawker; 11-20-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #6 of 41 Old 11-19-2019, 07:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 55
Believe I would first check the tightness of the four bolts holding the chute collar. (606 on the parts diagram). Anything that makes this connection tighter will tighten the overall assembly. (Personally I would want the crank handle to be free .... loose).
The groment in the eye bolt is probably the device that provides to friction for th he handle. It may be worn and beed replacing. Part #861 on the diagram. Craftsman part number 148.

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine

Last edited by enigma-2; 11-19-2019 at 07:09 PM.
post #7 of 41 Old 11-19-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
@enigma-2

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check the collar bolts tautness. The loose crank handle allows the handle to spin on it's own causing the chute direction to alter. This has been problematic, thus my query here on the forum. I thought loose would be good when I first lubed the parts, but have found in time it is a hassle. I would walk behind the thrower and hold my left knee against the handle to hold it in the preferred position. It looked like I was doing some strange dance walking behind the thrower. LOL

Last edited by Sgthawker; 11-20-2019 at 08:02 AM.
post #8 of 41 Old 11-19-2019, 08:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 145
Likes (Received): 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgthawker View Post
tabora: Is it an easy job to replace the grommet, I presume I have to remove the hair pin (852-9) on the u-joint and pull the handle out to get the grommet off and reverse to install the new one?
Yes, I believe that would be the path of least resistance on your model. On the Honda, I pulled off the handle, unbolted the bracket and slid the bracket off that way, but the hairpin removal should be much less work.
post #9 of 41 Old 11-19-2019, 09:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgthawker View Post
Hello, I thought I would ask what can be done for the crank handle being rather loose for the chute direction selection. It is a 17 year old Craftsman 9HP 29" with a Tecumseh engine. The thrower is model: 536.887990, engine 143.039003 (probably not necessary).

It rotates easily so much so, If my selection for direction, leaves the handle in the up position, the vibration of the thrower running makes it fall changing direction. When I first bought it it was snug and I mistakenly lubricated the universal joint, the gear mount bracket, and the eye bolt grommet.

Is there anything I can do to get some friction back so it stays in the direction I have set it?

Below is the parts image, key 861 is the grommet and the 852-* parts are the universal joint, gear, and bracket:

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.
" Sgthawker" your Craftsman snowblower was very likely built by Murray. I have a 2004 Murray which I'm currently restoring (see my thread in the "Murray section) and I have the exact same chute as you (same diagram with the same part numbers and also the same problem, mechanism being too loose). When I took mine apart last summer to restore it I noticed that there is a spring (see pictures below) on mine which is not shown anywhere on the diagram! Was it added by a previous owner?… I dunno... but I think that finding a longer spring to make everything tighter or add some kind of spacer (sleeve) at one end of the spring to compress it a little more should add more tension on it and hopefully solve the problem once and for all.
I'm not quite done with the reassembly yet but I'll keep you posted when everything's put back together with some results.
Hope this helps!

Claude.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5813.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	159337   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5814.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	159339  

2004 MURRAY BRUTE 10HP 29"
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 41 Old 11-19-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
" Sgthawker" When I took mine apart last summer to restore it I noticed that there is a spring (see pictures below) on mine which is not shown anywhere on the diagram! Was it added by a previous owner?… I dunno... but I think that finding a longer spring to make everything tighter or add some kind of spacer (sleeve) at one end of the spring to compress it a little more should add more tension on it and hopefully solve the problem once and for all.Claude.
@toofastforyou,

Interesting find. I can say for sure that my thrower never had the spring you mention. I am the original purchaser and never saw one in the location you indicate.

Thanks for the info though, I will consider what may be done to replicate the idea.

Last edited by Sgthawker; 11-20-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page