post #1 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 3
Worth repairing old MTD/Mastercraft?

Hi everyone,

Last winter a family friend gave me an old Mastercraft (Canadian Tire store brand here in Canada) 8/26 snowblower that was made by MTD, probably in the late 70s early 80s. The model number on the tag is 319-825-515. I put a new aftermarket carb, a new plug and a new fuel filter on last winter and the engine ran really well after that. I used the machine a few times last winter and it seemed to be working pretty good.

We had an early snow here in Southern Ontario last week, and that prompted me to have a closer look at the machine. When I was checking the belts I noticed the rear auger bearing was shot. I thought that would be a cheap and easy fix, but once I had the auger out of the machine I figured it would be a good idea to check the gear box. It was a lot of work to get everything apart, but once I did I realized the worm gear was worn pretty bad, the thrust washer was missing completely, and the impeller shaft was worn badly at both ends. The grease inside the gearbox was a grey sludge that looked like nickel anti-seize, presumably from all the ground up metal mixed in with the grease

I found most of the parts I need online, and for about $300CAD I can rebuild the gearbox including a new impeller shaft, plus replace the rear auger bearing, and the friction wheel.

I've only got about $50 into the machine so far, but I'm a bit hesitant to spend another $300+ on a 30-year-old machine. However, there isn't much available around here on the used market for that price and the new machines I've looked seem poorly made compared to this old tank.

Any suggestions? Is it worth fixing up this old machine?

Here's a few pics. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181116-snowblower-repair-4900.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	159489   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20191120_211939.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	159491   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20191123_112407.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	615.3 KB
ID:	159493   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20191123_112436.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	159495   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20191123_112528.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	159497  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 01:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 23
Im in SW Ontario also.
You could fix it for the fun of it, but you can buy a better one for your investment.
Check kijiji for lots of $350 snowblowers, ready to go.

If you do fix it ,it could become a fun hobby.

Ariens 924024 8 hp 32 now a 10 hp
Ariens 910008 7 hp 24
post #3 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 01:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 540
I will say one thing, you have the knowledge ,and the where with all, to be at the point you are at now. The one thing you would be assured in, is if you did the repairs, you know where you are at and what you have, with many new parts. It sure beats the price of a new machine.

BTW, I bought a gear to replace in my Craftsman, albeit brass, pretty cheap from a place in Texas. Not sure if they would have your gear, or ship to Canada, but worth a look maybe:

Flip Manufacturing, Greenville, Texas

If that engine is good, and you can get the parts at the best price, might be a good machine indeed, a call which after your knowledge of it, would be your call.

I use the XTrac tires on my machines as well, with a couple with the SnowHogs.
post #4 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 02:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 276
if the gear is steel you could probably just run that machine into the ground. i would be a bit hesitant to put money into a older machine like that. it is also missing the skids so bucket and augers may be wore down a bit. i do like how much thicker the buckets are on the old machines and how much less they flex but definitely need to take care of them. what part of southern ontario are you from? i feel like i might have an auger assembly off a machine like that but you would likely need to pickup if it is the right one since i think the auger may be rusted to the shafts. i have no clue what shape the insides are in. here are some pics of the machine it came out of.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	19621299_10155475197476672_1076032170310060670_o.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	159505   Click image for larger version

Name:	19575321_10155475197481672_8365046296279924693_o.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	159507  

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Ariens 924 View Post
I’m in SW Ontario also.
You could fix it for the fun of it, but you can buy a better one for your investment.
Check kijiji for lots of $350 snowblowers, ready to go.

If you do fix it ,it could become a fun hobby.
I'm in Sarnia. Not much around here right now. Almost everything on kijiji under $350 are small electric blowers. An older 26" Craftsman popped up today and I've message seller for more info because I think it may have some of the same parts as mine. I was out this afternoon and stopped at Lowes and TSC to look at some new machines. Seeing what they're selling now for a $1000+ pretty much convinced me to fix this one up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
I will say one thing, you have the knowledge ,and the where with all, to be at the point you are at now. The one thing you would be assured in, is if you did the repairs, you know where you are at and what you have, with many new parts. It sure beats the price of a new machine.

BTW, I bought a gear to replace in my Craftsman, albeit brass, pretty cheap from a place in Texas. Not sure if they would have your gear, or ship to Canada, but worth a look maybe:

Flip Manufacturing, Greenville, Texas

If that engine is good, and you can get the parts at the best price, might be a good machine indeed, a call which after your knowledge of it, would be your call.

I use the XTrac tires on my machines as well, with a couple with the SnowHogs.

Thanks oneacer. I like fixing up old machines, usually it's old woodworking tools, and I agree that when I do it myself I at least know where I'm at and what I have. I feel like if I bought another used machine for $300-$400 there's a pretty good chance it would need some of the same repairs. The best price I can find up here on the large worm gear is about $66 at this site: https://www.rpmpieces.com/en/differe...-717-1425.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
if the gear is steel you could probably just run that machine into the ground. i would be a bit hesitant to put money into a older machine like that. it is also missing the skids so bucket and augers may be wore down a bit. i do like how much thicker the buckets are on the old machines and how much less they flex but definitely need to take care of them. what part of southern ontario are you from? i feel like i might have an auger assembly off a machine like that but you would likely need to pickup if it is the right one since i think the auger may be rusted to the shafts. i have no clue what shape the insides are in. here are some pics of the machine it came out of.
The large worm gear is very light and non-magnetic, so I think it's aluminum. It's probably got some life left in it (see pic below), but it seems silly not to replace it if I've gone this far. I had the skid shoes off to weld them when I took the picture above. The shoes and the shave plate were worn, but the augers look good. Thanks for the offer of the auger. How far are you from Sarnia? That Snow Flite looks almost identical to my Mastercraft.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P_20191123_112436.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	159521  

Last edited by streetcore; 11-23-2019 at 05:49 PM.
post #6 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
@street,

Found it for 51.00 at Amazon . still looking for you:

post #7 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for looking, but $51US is about $68CAD and they don't deliver here. Best price on amazon.ca is $69.99CAD.

Last edited by streetcore; 11-23-2019 at 06:18 PM.
post #8 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 06:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 276
hard to say how long it will last if it is aluminum. i just know they are usually brass and you could tell yours was not brass. i am over in Orangeville about 3 hours from you. seems like it might be a bit of a drive for a auger assembly unless you know someone that travels this way sometimes. the machine definitely looks almost identical to yours. i should have kept it and fixed it. for the little i played with it i liked it. i still have the axle assembly out of it that i was going to use to make a gas powered wheel barrow since it has the differential in it so it is easy to turn when you want but also goes straight real easily.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #9 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah, Orangeville would be too far to drive for something like this, but thanks anyway.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes crazzywolfie, Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #10 of 40 Old 11-23-2019, 09:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
@street,

I just did a Craftsman Auger Gearbox, and lucked out, as the gear was brass, and I found one for 20.00 with shipping and tax, 28.00. It appears that gear is made in brass as well, as you will see by looking around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page