Fixing first snow blower (also I'm an idiot.) - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Fixing first snow blower (also I'm an idiot.)

Hi,
I should tell you I'm an idiot I'd throw in some swear words but it's likely against rules. I know it (and you will see why) but hoping to get this thing working and learn a lot on the way.

So we've always needed a snow blower and last summer I bought one used for $75 which seems to be running fine (though I think the auger blades were from another larger model because it hits the housing so I cutoff a piece). Well someone posted 3 snowblowers for $75 all in a month later in non-working condition and I had to take the gamble on them.

So yesterday I decided to clean my first carb on one of the snowblowers and it wouldn't start. I didn't really check anything else on the snowblower and really just jumped right into it.

Here are my issues/questions:
*The back kickplate is missing so I don't know the exact model# but it is an MTD22 which has an identical engine/setup to the craftsman 247886640 that I have.
*The snow blower is missing the auger belt. Is that necessary to get the motor to start?
*The snow blower is missing both parts for the electric start the box on the side and the part where you would plug it into an outlet. If I just use the recoil starter do I still need these two?
*Ok, here is the really bad part and I don't know why I did it but I just did. I screwed in a spark plug from a car that I had lying around...yup. Yes, I know there are all other kinds of considerations to think of but it's just what I did and just the situation I'm in. I'm a swear word idiot. It bent the probe on the spark plug and one of the electrodes (there are 3). I wasn't exactly sure if there was compression before but I think the noise did change when I pulled the rope and definitely no compression now because I don't hear the "sputter". Looking at a diagram of what I believe is the correct engine I'm not sure what I would have hit. Would it be one of the valves or the plate underneath? What are the chances for catastrophic damage that I've done (catastrophic meaning needing a new engine)?
*One of the head bolts broke in half otherwise I would remove the head. I'm worried a screw extractor won't be able to reach or get it out. Would I be able to rotate the entire head to unscrew it off and then have more options on getting out the bolt?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 11:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Received): 540
@flat,

I have to admit, you made my day reading your post.

If you just put a random plug from an automobile into a small engine, I would say your skill level for attempting any work on these small machines would be none, to say the least.

I would recommend you have a relative or friend come over to personally assist you with any repairs, as you are not even at the basic small machine 101 phase of competency … Just sayin …. no dis-respect intended.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Dauntae, 87powershiftx2, evh, Ariensboy liked this post
post #3 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 11:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 61
1st: By using the MTD (or Craftsman) model numbers, you should be able to find an auger belt… (and also the correct spark plug…)
2nd: Yes, you can probably use the recoil starter only… but if you go to have a starter then take it to a repair shop… Sometimes they can fix it with used parts which won't cost you an arm and a leg.
3rd: With the spark plug and broken head bolt problems, you might as well remove the cylinder head and see if there's anu internal engine damage and if everything's ok, then reinstall the head with new bolts and the correct spark plug, change the oil and you should be good to go.
And last, if you don't feel confident enough or realize you don't have the skills to tackle all that work yourself, then like I said, take it to a repair shop.
Good luck,

Claude.

2004 MURRAY BRUTE 10HP 29"
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #4 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 11:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 147
Likes (Received): 297
silly question, Once you took the wrong plug out, Did you put another in before seeing if it had compression?

Sno-Tek Modded, 15"X-Track tires (Now has same X-Track tires but 13"x4" for better fit), 254cc engine LED light and hand warmers.
Snapper 6/22 sold but not forgotten. Was my first.
Ariens ST1027LE workhorse and going strong.
New 2017 Ariens Deluxe completely rebuilt after losing a fight with a forklift.
post #5 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
silly question, Once you took the wrong plug out, Did you put another in before seeing if it had compression?
I put the old one back in and didn't hear the "wobble" sound so I figured it didn't have compression.
post #6 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
1st: By using the MTD (or Craftsman) model numbers, you should be able to find an auger belt… (and also the correct spark plug…)
2nd: Yes, you can probably use the recoil starter only… but if you go to have a starter then take it to a repair shop… Sometimes they can fix it with used parts which won't cost you an arm and a leg.
3rd: With the spark plug and broken head bolt problems, you might as well remove the cylinder head and see if there's anu internal engine damage and if everything's ok, then reinstall the head with new bolts and the correct spark plug, change the oil and you should be good to go.
And last, if you don't feel confident enough or realize you don't have the skills to tackle all that work yourself, then like I said, take it to a repair shop.
Good luck,

Claude.
Thanks, Claude
1) Will the engine run fine without the auger belt?
2) From what I've read about recoil starting it doesn't require a spark plug? So for recoil start all I'd need is the recoil and ignition coil? The electric starter parts I don't even have so it looks like the previous owner cannibalized it for parts.
3) Sorry, I was referring to the cylinder head where the broken bolt is. Would it be possible to twist the whole cylinder head off to remove it and get at the broken bolt to maybe screw it forward and out? So if the spark plug I screwed on pushed the valve and bent that what further damage would likely have happened?
post #7 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
@flat,

I have to admit, you made my day reading your post.

If you just put a random plug from an automobile into a small engine, I would say your skill level for attempting any work on these small machines would be none, to say the least.

I would recommend you have a relative or friend come over to personally assist you with any repairs, as you are not even at the basic small machine 101 phase of competency … Just sayin …. no dis-respect intended.
No disrespect taken. Again I know it was beyond stupid I was looking for a tool and there was a spark plug lying around that I knew was good and just went with it. I don't know what to say other than I didn't want to think and just did it for the sake of experimenting?

I don't disagree with your assessment but the blower cost me $25 and wasn't working in the first place so I'm probably not going to sink anymore than $50 on it. I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm not stupid and careless but as SCARY...I know...as it sounds I have worked on my car doing spark plugs, brakes, alternator, oil change, sensor changes. Fixed broken laptops, phones, installed gas water heaters, replaced gas stove regulators, and as hobby repair vintage mechanical watches. Again, that does not make what I did any less stupid or other things I've done less scary. With this it was a $25 broken machine that I just wasn't patient enough to think about and it isn't something I really need and doesn't present a safety issue like it's going to blow up my house. I don't know but it's done and that's where I'm at so just want to try and fix it. Hey at least I was honest with what I did right?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #8 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 01:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 83
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 122
Likes (Received): 127
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatoutbroken View Post
No disrespect taken. Again I know it was beyond stupid I was looking for a tool and there was a spark plug lying around that I knew was good and just went with it. I don't know what to say other than I didn't want to think and just did it for the sake of experimenting?

I don't disagree with your assessment but the blower cost me $25 and wasn't working in the first place so I'm probably not going to sink anymore than $50 on it. I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm not stupid and careless but as SCARY...I know...as it sounds I have worked on my car doing spark plugs, brakes, alternator, oil change, sensor changes. Fixed broken laptops, phones, installed gas water heaters, replaced gas stove regulators, and as hobby repair vintage mechanical watches. Again, that does not make what I did any less stupid or other things I've done less scary. With this it was a $25 broken machine that I just wasn't patient enough to think about and it isn't something I really need and doesn't present a safety issue like it's going to blow up my house. I don't know but it's done and that's where I'm at so just want to try and fix it. Hey at least I was honest with what I did right?

First, cut yourself some slack. I've wrecked lots of stuff too, but I have also learned by my mistakes and what I did wrong, and ended up fixing the problems I created.Mistakes lead to knowledge. We've all been there....if anyone tells you they haven't , well just don't believe them. I laugh at people who, once you have asked a question about a repair or problem, tell you " Oh it's easy!"......my response to that is "brain surgery is easy too.....if you know what you are doing..."

Life is short, so if you don't have the strength to laugh at yourself,
call me.....I'll laugh at you!
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 with 291 CC Engine
2011 John Deere JS36 Self Propelled Mower
Too many Craftsman Mechanic/Yard tools to mention
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes SayItAintSnow, Davejb liked this post
post #9 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 45
Likes (Received): 52
flatoutbroken, don't beat yourself up too much. I have broken stuff because I was tired, in a hurry, or just didn't know, it happens. Everyone does it from time to time. It's the cost of education at the School of Hard Knocks. FIRST, get a copy of the owner's manual, there's a lot of useful information in it, here's one for the Craftsman model number. https://usermanual.wiki/Craftsman/247886640.1124945700

To answer some of your questions,

"Will the engine run fine without the auger belt?" The auger belt is not needed for the engine to run.
"From what I've read about recoil starting it doesn't require a spark plug? So for recoil start all I'd need is the recoil and ignition coil?" You must have a spark plug installed for the engine to run.
"The snow blower is missing both parts for the electric start the box on the side and the part where you would plug it into an outlet. If I just use the recoil starter do I still need these two?" If you use the recoil starter, none of the electric starter parts are necessary. If you want an electric starter you can get one for $80 here (check that it's the correct part number for your machine).
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Electric-...wers/135810816
"Would it be possible to twist the whole cylinder head off to remove it and get at the broken bolt to maybe screw it forward and out?" You have to first remove several other items to remove the head, gas tank bracket, engine shroud, etc. The head will lift off when all head bolts are removed and the other items are out of the way.

Good luck with your project

1986 Toro 524 (Predator 212 Hemi, Impeller Mod.)
1997 Toro 724
1997 Toro 824XL Power Throw
post #10 of 18 Old 11-24-2019, 04:20 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 415
Likes (Received): 663
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatoutbroken View Post
Thanks, Claude
1) Will the engine run fine without the auger belt?
2) From what I've read about recoil starting it doesn't require a spark plug? So for recoil start all I'd need is the recoil and ignition coil? The electric starter parts I don't even have so it looks like the previous owner cannibalized it for parts.
3) Sorry, I was referring to the cylinder head where the broken bolt is. Would it be possible to twist the whole cylinder head off to remove it and get at the broken bolt to maybe screw it forward and out? So if the spark plug I screwed on pushed the valve and bent that what further damage would likely have happened?
where did you read that recoil starting doesnt require a spark plug ?

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page