Yard-Man track drive snowblower won't move - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-24-2019, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Yard-Man track drive snowblower won't move

Hi All,

I'm having trouble with my track drive Yard Man snowblower. It was bought used and I have no idea what model it might be - all of the info on the plate has work off. It is very similar mechanically to 31AH7L3G701 based on the part diagrams for that machine that I've looked at.I think the only difference is the control panel.

If I put the machine in gear, it will move but very slowly and in jerks. Reverse works better that drive.

I just replaced the friction disk rubber and that helped a little, but it's still not working well.

When I adjusted the friction disk tension, I wasn't sure how tight to make it. I adjusted it so that when the handle is not down, a piece of paper will just slip under the friction disk and the plate it rides on. With the handle down, the paper gets gripped tight enough that I can't pull it out. But I was just guessing how it should be adjusted.

I'm not sure where to go from here - any suggestions?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-24-2019, 04:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
sounds adjusted right.....make sure you clean the disc plate to get any oil residue off of it.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-25-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
sounds adjusted right.....make sure you clean the disc plate to get any oil residue off of it.
Yep, cleaned the disc off.

Next I'm thinking I'm going to take the belt cover off and have my wife drive it, and watch what the belts are doing.

Those are the only two places I can think of for slippage, the belts and the friction disc. And I don't know how to watch the disc while it's running, so I'm not sure how to tell if I might have a problem there. I suppose if watching the belts doesn't reveal anything, I'll take another link at the friction disc and see if there's any other places to check.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-25-2019, 12:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 42
Likes (Received): 260
You could probably take off the belly pan, and find a way to support the tracks off the ground, and then be able to watch the friction disc.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It turns out it was the belt, and I'm all set.

Last year the belt broke. Since I didn't know the model of my machine I took the pieces of my old belt in to the hardware store and tried to figure out what to replace it with. We came up with 31". The previous owner of my machine had apparently used a plain rubber v-belt instead of the fiber-wrapped one that was supposed to be used, so that's what I got as my replacement.

It seems that the tensioner was almost able to take up the extra inch, but not quite. From looking at the belt what I think happened is that the belt slipped a bit, and some rubber got shaved off when it did. So bit by bit the rubber was worn away until it was worn so much that it was slipping all the time.

I sprayed a dot of primer on the back of the belt and on the pulley and it was really easy to see what was going on - the pulley was spinning smoothly, and the spot on the belt was stuttering pretty heavily.

I looked through parts diagrams until I found one that looked like my machine, used that to get my part number, and now it's fixed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page