LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-24-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
Synthetic oil

Seeing I got the new Ariens with the 306 engine I plan on using full synthetic Amsoil in it as I do in everything I own with a engine in it. What is recommended for breaking in the engine, maybe one season with the oil that it comes with?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-24-2019, 08:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 63
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 127
For some reason I have read on new engines that for first five to ten hours of use Dino(regular) 5w-30 to help seat the rings....then once you have reached those hours synthetic is the way to go. But check your owners manual
for proper weight(5w-30 vs. 10w30). Do what they recommend!!! Some companies do the break in at factory....but not sure if they still do that or not any more. I want to say Honda does but...Anyone????

Per LCT:

Engine oil affects performance and service life. Use 4-stroke automotive
detergent oil.
SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general use. Other viscosities shown in
the chart may be used when the average temperature in your area warrants.
The SAE oil viscosity and service classification are in the API label on the oil
container. The manufacturer recommends you use API SERVICE category
SJ engine oil, or better.

I would go 5w-30 if your temps are always low all winter (below 32). Again see chart in your engine's manual!!!
post #3 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 12:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 421
Likes (Received): 266
Most "Break-in" period is about 5 engine hours for most engines, so depending on how much you use it, that might be 1 season.
You can "Break in" your engine with full synthetic, it will break in just like using regular oil. The only thing with using full synthetic oil for break in is if you change the oil at say 5 engine hours instead of 100 to 200 hours, you are just paying more money for the oil to be changed at the lower amount of engine hours.
Some people use full synthetic oil right away when brand new, others wait for 1 season, or what they feel is "Break In time", say 5 engine hours for example, usually go by what the owners manual suggests.
If you don't mind spending the extra money, I would start out with the Amsoil and break it in with that.
The Amsoil power equipment 10w30 oil will flow at minus 46 degrees Fahrenheit, and will out last regular oil.
Honda did initial "Run Ins" at the factory with all of their engines for about 1/2 engine hours to test them and make sure everything was operating properly on the engine assembly line, and again at the end of the final production line before the units were packaged for shipping to test the machine for operation, then the "Shipping Company" that dis-assembled the finished product would drain the fuel and oil before they were put into shipping containers,I.E. shipping crates or boxes. At that point they used to also put a "Fuel Tank/Sysyem" protective chemical in the fuel tanks to prevent corrosion. Back in the 90' they use to call it "Nox Rust". It was like a cosmoline coating that was supposed to rinse out with gasoline, but in some cases it would clog the carburetor jets and the carbs and fuel systems would have to be cleaned out when the units were being prepped at the dealerships before they were delivered to the customer.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 2badknees liked this post
post #4 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 07:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 748
Likes (Received): 268
does anyone read the owners manual anymore, i don't know of any small motor maker shop and owners manual that doesn't say 5w30 below 32 degs 10w30 is acceptable from minus 10 up and straight 30 w over 50 deg's
Likes paulm12 liked this post
post #5 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 07:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 9
Here is what the Engine Manual says:

ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATIONS
• Engine oil affects performance and service life. Use 4-stroke automotive detergent oil.
• 5W-30 oil is recommended for general use (synthetic oil is an acceptable alternative).
• The SAE oil viscosity and service classification are in the API label on the oil container.
Use API SERVICE category SJ engine oil, or higher.

Engine Oil Capacities:
254cc - 20 oz (.591 liter)
306cc - 32 oz (.946 liter)
369cc - 38 oz (1.123 liter)
420cc - 38 oz (1.123 liter)

Note: Total oil capacity could be as much as 4
additional ounces over volumes above due to
engine mounting angle and proper draining
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #6 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 08:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 152
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 549
I wish I had a dollar for every oil thread …

I have always used the 5W30 Full Synthetic, as per the best recommended by B&S, in all my equipment, new and old, summer and winter.

If you have any doubts, then go by your manual and use what they suggest.

If you still have doubts, then call the manufacturer.

If you still have doubts, then go with whatever would make you feel comfortable.….
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
post #7 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 10:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reynoldston View Post
Seeing I got the new Ariens with the 306 engine I plan on using full synthetic Amsoil in it as I do in everything I own with a engine in it. What is recommended for breaking in the engine, maybe one season with the oil that it comes with?
The Ariens booklet that provided user info on the LCT engine for my 2015 model 414 cc engine did not specify the need for break-in at all. The recommendation was to replace the engine oil (5w-30 regular or synthetic) after a month of use and every 40 engine hours after that. My dealer put the initial oil in and I used it for a month before replacing the oil with synthetic 0W-30 oil. The old oil did have some shiny particles, but not that much. Since there is a small ledge created by the oil drain tube into the crankcase there is likely no way of eliminating the relatively heavy shiny particles from the crankcase altogether; so I don't let it bother me.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #8 of 8 Old 11-25-2019, 11:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Received): 110
I saw that someone posted some thing about this 2-3 years after I repowered my 1971 Ariens. I wish I would have known that prior... I started using Castrol Edge from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplicitySolid22 View Post
For some reason I have read on new engines that for first five to ten hours of use Dino(regular) 5w-30 to help seat the rings....then once you have reached those hours synthetic is the way to go. But check your owners manual
for proper weight(5w-30 vs. 10w30). Do what they recommend!!! Some companies do the break in at factory....but not sure if they still do that or not any more. I want to say Honda does but...Anyone????

Per LCT:

Engine oil affects performance and service life. Use 4-stroke automotive
detergent oil.
SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general use. Other viscosities shown in
the chart may be used when the average temperature in your area warrants.
The SAE oil viscosity and service classification are in the API label on the oil
container. The manufacturer recommends you use API SERVICE category
SJ engine oil, or better.

I would go 5w-30 if your temps are always low all winter (below 32). Again see chart in your engine's manual!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page