LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-30-2019, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Brand New Troy bilt belt problems

I bought a brand new Troy Bilt storm 3090 at the end of the 2018 season. I didn't get a chance to use it that year, and the 2019 winter was non existent. The one snow storm i used it in last winter, the machine had a difficult time. When it got to the 3 inches of plowed wet slush at the bottom of my driveway, it couldn't handle it. It didn't bog the engine at all, it Just squealed the belt and stopped the auger when it got into that stuff, even going super slow. I figured it just needed a little more tension on the belt. So today i delved into it figured out that it's tensioned properly according to the manual. If i go any tighter on the cable, the auger won't stop when the handle is released. Is there something i'm missing? This thing is a monster, it's a big snowblower with a big engine, yet it can barely handle a storm that's small by connecticut standards.

I tried positioning the idler wheel in the hole that's closer to the belt, thinking that will move the tensioner bracket in a manner that will make the brake work better when the auger is disengaged, and allow it to tension the belt more when engaged. But it did the opposite. Now the brake doesn't work at all, even with the cable totally slacked, and it still barely tensions the belt when engaged. It seems like there's not much room for adjustment in the mechanism. Not a good design.

It would really suck if that's as good as this machine can do. It's a brand new machine and it's practically useless. I bought it because it was supposed to be a powerful machine, but all the power in the world won't make a difference if it can't drive the auger.
Is there something i'm missing here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-30-2019, 05:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 173
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 455
Likes (Received): 1030
Maybe get some ides here.
My neighbor has a Troy he bought new about the same time you did and he has zero problems.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Zavie liked this post
post #3 of 3 Old 11-30-2019, 06:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 571
Likes (Received): 270
I think when the machine was first used the tension was not properly adjusted at the factory and a wear area was put into the belt and damaged the belt.
The machine you have should be more than adequate to throw anything a very good distance. I think if you pulled the belt and examined it you would find a damaged portion similar to the donyboy73 video. BTW excellent vid.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page