LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Flimsy Augers on Cub Cadet 3 Stage

Has anyone had trouble with their augers bending so that they don't cover the entire width they need to? On my Cub Cadet 26" 3 Stage, the side augers have bent so much, that they no longer cover the width they were intended to. I am thinking if I bend them back to original width and maybe add some reinforcement, or weld beads to give them more strength maybe they would hold their shape. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, how did you fix it? Also, it really doesn't seem to bit into deep wet snow very well at all. If I can make it work better, that would be great, but if not, I really need to replace it. Everything else about the machine is really good, other than it doesn't like deep wet snow, and it tends to plug up in shallow wet snow. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC Snowblower-2019-12-1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	160099  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-01-2019, 10:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 143
Likes (Received): 500
MTD augers are notoriously flimsy. I've had to bend them all back multiple times on my son's Troy-Bilt.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 79
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 329
Likes (Received): 362
Ive never seen this before. They look like ninja stars now

1989 John Deere 1032
1979 Toro 5/24 38040 (now a 6.5)
1978 Ariens S16H Tractor & Plow
post #4 of 6 Old 12-01-2019, 11:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 201
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 413
Likes (Received): 266
It is a bad design to begin with. They are noted for clogging and it is very difficult to get a tool in there to unclog them. By their design, they were designed to clog in deep snow and wet sloppy snow, they cant intake the snow fast enough to the impeller because the shield brow behind the auger gearbox blocks everything and makes it hard to get at the shear bolt back there.
The augers were designed to bend easily, there is nothing to make them rigid enough by design being single pieces that they are.
If you bend them once, they are weakened, bend them back into place, they are bent twice and weakened even more, and will bend much easier the next/third time.
Wait till you get a newspaper jammed into them and the work involved to get that removed.
You have to disassemble the entire auger assembly and it is not an easy job, everything has to be removed all they way to the impeller.
Thank the College educated with no common sense what-so-ever idiot who designed that part.
But then again, MTD products are designed as "Home-owner" or "Residential" products and are not designed for heavier usage to keep the costs down on them.
Wait till you need engine parts or service support from the factory on them.
Honestly your best to get rid of it and replace the machine with a regular 2 stage machine. The "3" stage is nothing but a marketing gimmick that only give you 3 times more trouble than anything else and for what they are worth. They might work in light dry snow, but don't ram them into hard packed or icy chunked end of driveway snow, or you will destroy the center auger in a big hurry, besides it will spray the snow out the sides and not into the impeller housing if it doesn't bend the auger paddle first or break the shear bolt.
Also notice the snow stacked up on top of the brow that blocks the snow from getting into the impeller so it can be discharged out the chute, a very poor design there.
Note the tiny diameter auger paddles compared to how high the auger housing is with the little brow blocking entrance to the impeller housing, right there it will cause a major problem in deep snow with the machine not being able to exhaust all of the snow out quick enough by being blocked from the impeller, and the tiny diameter auger paddles not being large enough to break up deep snow piles enough to make its way back to the impeller, if it ever makes it that far in the first place.

Last edited by ST1100A; 12-02-2019 at 02:49 AM.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-02-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the replies. I figured this was a poor design after I've used it a few years. This unit replaced my snowthrower I used on a John Deere F525 Front Deck mower. The John Deere had a few issues but it was a tank and was leagues ahead of what I replaced it with. I now have a Grasshopper 725, 25 HP Diesel front deck mower. I didn't want to use it in the winter, but I believe the time has come to either put a snowblower on my Grasshopper or get a commercial walk behind machine. We own 4 properties and do the usual amount of helping friends and neighbors, and I see now I should have started with something different. I agree, the 3 stage is a marketing tool. Last spring we had a couple of wet 18 and 24 inch snows. The 3 stage would take 8 to 12 inches at a time and that was only by pushing down on the handles so it would raise the front of the machine to bite only a little bit of snow at one time. I may try to get through one more year with this, but I'll circle back and let you know what I replace this thing with, either yet this month or next fall. Thanks again for the responses.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-03-2019, 08:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 248
Likes (Given): 143
Likes (Received): 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page