Upgrading the alternator coil and flywheel for heated handles, worth the hassle? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Unread 12-02-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Upgrading the alternator coil and flywheel for heated handles, worth the hassle?

Upgrading the alternator coil and flywheel for heated handles, worth the hassle?

I have an Ariens 926001, Tecumseh motor LH318SA 156582H, I read this is the HMSK80?

I have added auto steer to it, and I have also replaced the gearbox on the augers. Hence why I am trying to keep my investment. I bought this new in 2007 so I know what use it has had.

I have always wanted heated handles, one and only purchase regret was not getting the next model up at the time . It looks like I have 3amps which is not enough.

So options are:
  1. upgrade the alternator/flywheel to support 5 or 7amps
  2. swap motors
  3. buy heated gloves.

Worth the bother? Not easily offended, I could just go the LED route, try an 881 amber or a flood/ac/dc box and run along

I saw this post from mfrs2000 from 2014 in the LED thread that was crazy long, thought it could use its own.

Sorry, volts...

From researching part #'S I would say that I have a 1 Amp 18 W output.

Below is a quote from another site.

I've got a 24" Yard Machines snow blower (31AS6LCE700) with what I believe to be the largest engine (at least that I've ever seen) on a blower that width. It's a Tecumseh 10.0 HP that is 358cc (LH358SA-159517Z). The engine is an older style "flat head" which is no longer made by the now defunct Tecumseh. The engine is great, but it lacks an alternator to run a light for the snow blower. So I've researched various other MTD model snow blowers as well as similar LH358SA aka HMSK80 engines. There are several alternators to choose from:
-1 Amp (18 Watt), P/N 611111, Readily available and probably most common. It has only two coils and takes up 120 degees if the flywheel (a third of the pie!)
-3 Amp (~36 Watt @12V), P/N 611095 or P/N 611113 or P/N 611116
-3 Amp D.C., 5 Amp A.C. ( ), P/N 611104. This is for a system that uses an A.C. light, but has a battery that needs to be charged.
-7 Amp (~84 Watt @ 12V), P/N 611097 or P/N 611290

However, you need more than just an alternator to make power. The flywheel must be replaced with a flywheel which has magnets on inside ring. Flywheels:
-Flywheel matched to 1 Amp, P/N 611093?
-Flywheel matched to 3Amp, P/N 611083, or P/N611093
-Flywheel matched to 3Amp D.C./5Amp A.C., P/N 611309.
-Flywheel matched to 7Amp, P/N 611094 (5 ma
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Unread 12-02-2019, 08:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 140
Much easier/simpler to just get heated gloves. I got a pair from Milwaukee, admittedly those are pricey and others are cheaper, but I don't know about their quality. They are marketed toward snowmobilers and folks who work outside.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks forbeskm thanked for this post
post #3 of 14 Unread 12-02-2019, 11:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 19
You could buy a next model up unit with heated grips with a blown engine ,and swap the parts you need.
You’ll need the correct alternator and a flywheel as noted plus the grips and wiring ,they will all be there.

Is it worth it ?
You already added the auto steer and fixed the gearbox, might as well have all the toys you want.

Ariens 924334 11 hp 28
Ariens 924024 8 hp 32 now a 10 hp
Ariens 910008 7 hp 24

Last edited by Ian Ariens 924; 12-02-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks forbeskm thanked for this post
post #4 of 14 Unread 12-03-2019, 11:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 63
Likes (Received): 89
Forbes, Well worth changing the alternator. It's very simple, compared to the upgrades you've already done. There are plenty of the Tec's out there, already blown up, that have the parts you need. The cheapest/easiest route, is to visit a local small engine shop and offer to buy a blown up engine that has the parts on it that you need. You've done the research. Find the biggest alternator setup you can find. The small engine guys will gladly sell you their junk. The stators and flywheels don't usually get damaged when they grenade.

GLuck, Jay
post #5 of 14 Unread 12-04-2019, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 4
Thanks everyone! Those are some good options. I will have to check out the local small engine repair places in denver! And those Milwaukee gloves look like a nice option, I always wanted to try out the jackets! I think I'll take my time and see what I can find, either the next up with a blown motor or a blown motor with the fly wheel/alternator.
post #6 of 14 Unread 12-04-2019, 12:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 206
Likes (Received): 140
My Bolens 824 came with heated grips from the factory and has enough juice to power a 36W headlight concurrently with the heated grips. I believe their engines have the upgraded 7 amp hardware. The non-running specimens typically have very poor resale value, might be worth checking in your local ads.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 Unread 12-05-2019, 08:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 75
I don't think so.

I use mittens and have never had a problem with the cold.
you can buy the little hand warmers to stuff inside the mittens if your hands get cold.
post #8 of 14 Unread 12-05-2019, 08:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Received): 289
I use Mittens also .... most of the upper quality Mittens have the zippered pouch for the hand warmers, but I never need to use them, as my hands are always warm with a quality Mitten.
post #9 of 14 Unread 12-11-2019, 08:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneacer View Post
I use Mittens also .... most of the upper quality Mittens have the zippered pouch for the hand warmers, but I never need to use them, as my hands are always warm with a quality Mitten.
same here
post #10 of 14 Unread 12-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Hi All,

I decided to give it a go, so i just placed an order for the following:

Tecumseh 60 WATT ALTERNATOR Part# LCT04141
Tecumseh FLYWHEEL 6 MAGNET ESTART EPAIII Part# LCT20817051
Universal Grip 12V ATV Motorcycle Heated Grips Inserts Handlebar Hand Warmer

$90 to give it a try.

For those who have installed these, I would appreciate some advice. The 60 Watt Alternator comes with 2 wires (red/black) and it says it AC volts. The Hand warmers states its 12VDC. Do i need to purchase a voltage regulator/rectifier as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in