LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 12-03-2019, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Tecumseh HM80 - Dies after 10 minutes

I have an 8HP Tecumseh HM80 (circa 1990) that is dying after about 10 minutes of effort. It's as though I turned the ignition to OFF. Engine will restart after a priming and a few pulls, but then will die after 5 minutes, then 2 minutes....repeat... I seems that as the motor heats up, it dies more frequently, but so far I'm always able to get it restarted.

A few years ago I bought a brand new carb (not ebay...). So the carb is relatively new.
Gas is always treated with Marine Blue Sta-bil and "Star Tron / Star Brite".
Gas is drained from the tank & bowl during storage etc..
Fuel line is only a few years old.
Pulled the main jet and cleaned the passages this morning, all clear.
Engine starts up fine from cold and doesn't like to be choked.
Idle Mixture screw is 1-1/4 turns out.
Main Jet runs okay between 1 and 1-1/2 turns out. Rough at 1-5/8. Rough at 3/4. I set this at 1-1/4 turns and engine ran smooth.
I've tried loosening gas cap, but this doesn't seem to work.
I've tried adjusting the main jet when engine starts to struggle under load, but this doesn't seem to work.

I'm grasping at straws here. Muffler Bolt holes in engine block are getting stripped, so muffler not tight = Hot exhaust kinda spewing in different directions between muffler and engine block. Could this be heating up the carb and causing problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 713
sounds like a bad coil to me.....
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes gsnod liked this post
post #3 of 24 Old 12-03-2019, 02:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 71
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 179
do the air fuel adjustments on warm engine. if it starts with no choke its probably set too rich.
fix the muffler. completely remove gas cap to test. check valves, fuel lines, fuel shutoff, needle valve and float

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old 12-03-2019, 02:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranman View Post
sounds like a bad coil to me.....

I agree with cranman, I bet the coil gets warm, quits working.
Seen it a few times.

Ariens 924334 11 hp 28
Ariens 924024 8 hp 32 now a 10 hp
Ariens 910008 7 hp 24
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks York v45 thanked for this post
Likes York v45 liked this post
post #5 of 24 Old 12-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 129
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 237
Likes (Received): 182
Check your valve clearance, sounds like you have tight valves, more likely the intake causing loss of compression and not sealing, you could also have a tight or bad exhaust valve doing the same thing on an old engine, its very common.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes York v45 liked this post
post #6 of 24 Old 12-04-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
UPDATE: Ran the blower again last night and she ran strong for about 10-minutes. Started right up, did not surge and was blowing snow good. I did have some blue flames at the exhaust / muffler (visible due to night). Not a red hot muffler, just blue flames. Then the blower quit after 10, same symptoms, kept getting it re-started, kept dying. Gas cap fully removed did nothing. Then I tried hitting the primer bulb when the motor started to quit. It worked 2 times / 2 presses of the primer bulb, where the motor "came back" very briefly but there was no real saving it. I think gas even came out of the bulb?

So with the primer bulb "working", I guess this means I have a fuel delivery issue and need the whole fuel system cleaned. So much for stabilizer and draining the carb every spring.... Given age, I'm not sure I want to get into paying someone to pull the head and do the valves at this point, but we'll see. New coil is probably no big deal if needed. Maybe 50-bucks?
post #7 of 24 Old 12-04-2019, 09:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts8169 View Post
UPDATE: Ran the blower again last night and she ran strong for about 10-minutes. Started right up, did not surge and was blowing snow good. I did have some blue flames at the exhaust / muffler (visible due to night). Not a red hot muffler, just blue flames. Then the blower quit after 10, same symptoms, kept getting it re-started, kept dying. Gas cap fully removed did nothing. Then I tried hitting the primer bulb when the motor started to quit. It worked 2 times / 2 presses of the primer bulb, where the motor "came back" very briefly but there was no real saving it. I think gas even came out of the bulb?

So with the primer bulb "working", I guess this means I have a fuel delivery issue and need the whole fuel system cleaned. So much for stabilizer and draining the carb every spring.... Given age, I'm not sure I want to get into paying someone to pull the head and do the valves at this point, but we'll see. New coil is probably no big deal if needed. Maybe 50-bucks?
do you have an inline spark tester? maybe you could put it on and start the engine. as soon as it dies pull it over and see if it has spark. if not than that is your issue. if it does than it might be some weird fueling issue where it doesn't fill the carb bowl fast enough to supply the engine.

Ariens ProPath 21 208cc ...honda HS720 GC190 OHC
Toro ccr3650 6.5hp RTEK ....Craftsman SS ???
Honda HS621 GX160 ....Honda HS624 GX160
post #8 of 24 Old 12-04-2019, 10:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 107
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 297
Does the engine have a metal fuel tank?

The metal-tanked ones usually had a shutoff valve screwed into the bottom that had a strainer on it (inside the tank) - if that's what you have the strainer may be clogged.

It's super-easy to check... just drain the tank then unscrew the valve from the tank.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-04-2019, 10:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 126
Thanks (Received): 189
Likes (Given): 440
Likes (Received): 778
I'll bet the Fuel Cap isn't Venting. Drill a Small Hole in it, and see what Happens.

Climate Change is a Hoax by Globalists
post #10 of 24 Old 12-04-2019, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 107
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 297
He did say he tried loosening the gas cap...

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page