LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-04-2019, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Paint recommendation for a daily user

I needed to disassemble my snowblower to fix a seized drive cable and as I dug deeper into the machine I encountered a few more issues. The result is that I have the chute and housing off as well as the impeller and augers. I know it is late in the year but I cannot help thinking that I should put a coat of paint on the rusty/bare parts.

This won't be a full restoration and sandblasting isn't an option. I've used a wire brush and flap disk in my grinder to clean up some the rust. It is a 20yr old honda; there is pitting and my rust cleanup isn't perfect. The previous owner damaged the bottom of the housing (typical shoeless Honda) and I'll likely repair/weld it next summer. Nevertheless, I'd like a paint that will hold up to typical use. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-04-2019, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I used Tremclad gloss black, oil based paint on the impeller and gearbox. It held up very well last year. I like their water based version too - very fast dry and no odour!! Not sure how durable it is..

I rebuilt the drive assembly on another machine this year. I wire brushed and repainted the frame using Dulux Metal Clad paint. I bought it from Betonel - with a CAA discount.

They colour matched a piece of it - reddish orange. Great match. I don't have a good place to paint so it takes longer to dry in a cold garage. Spray paint would be smoother too.

Also two coats would have been better but I figure I can touch it up in the summer (yea right!). Summer should be spent in the Kawarthas (Kirkfield) playing with boats!

Anyway, my 2 cents.
The ultimate might be POR-15 paint - just more prep work and cost involved.

Allan
post #3 of 12 Old 12-05-2019, 08:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 75
I used rustoleum on my cub cadet when i restored it about 9 years ago and it has held up very well no rust at all on the machine.
post #4 of 12 Old 12-05-2019, 08:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 115
Likes (Received): 380
I use a primer and then recently the Farm Equipment Husqvarna Orange Gloss. Went on and came out great.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-05-2019, 08:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Received): 18
I've used "hammered" finish from Rustoleum for inside the chute and it seemed to be doing well, regular Rustoleum on anything else
post #6 of 12 Old 12-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Received): 21
Also... You can achieve some interesting effects by warming the part prior to paint. Low 100's paint adheres better. At high temps the paint can almost instantly solidify, turning into a very hard surface with a textured appearance.
Years ago I sprayed rattle-can semi-gloss Rustoleum onto a metal part that I heated with a torch. The result was a crinkled finish that was tough & durable.
That was decades ago, the painted part is still holding up.

Ariens 1124DLE
(*sold:Ariens ST27LE)
(*sold: John Deere TRS21)
Toro 821
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Waylon liked this post
post #7 of 12 Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Received): 49
Nothing beats powdercoating but it's more expensive but worth it if you plan to keep your machine for a long time… … but if you'd rather paint it, then first have it sandblasted, primered and then painted. The original paint on most snowblowers doesn't have any metal preparation or primer. That's why they all rust after a few years…

Claude.

2004 MURRAY BRUTE 10HP 29"
post #8 of 12 Old 12-05-2019, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Received): 13
I use a rust conversion coat before a colored top coat in cases where I haven't gotten all the rust off.

So far so good but I don't yet know how things hold up in the long term.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-05-2019, 04:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 68
Likes (Given): 55
Likes (Received): 171
in the cold apply a hairdryer or heat gun(on low) to aid in drying

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 12 Old 12-06-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 3
Thanks everyone. I've turned on the heater to my garage and it should be warm enough to paint inside tomorrow. More snow this morning and I needed to shovel it. I really need to get this back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page