LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Starter intermittency

I started repairing small engines this year and by this I mean I started replacing carbs on old machines to make them work... on a couple machines I have the starters seem to work a couple times, then nothing (starter gear won't even try to spin). I've taken them apart, cleaned all the electrical components, put them back together and same thing, it will work once or twice and then nothing. What is typically the culprit here? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 12:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 546
I would assume the winding itself ….
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 12:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 52
There are multiple windings on the rotor which are connected to the commutator. The brushes run on the commutator. One or more of the windings on the rotor are open. When the motor stops with the brushes on an open winding the motor won't run. Spin the rotor so that a winding that is not open is in the circuit and the motor will start and run, but the motor will not be able to make full power with open rotor windings.

1986 Toro 524 (Predator 212 Hemi, Impeller Mod.)
1997 Toro 724
1997 Toro 824XL Power Throw
post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 01:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 183
multimeter would help to see if windings are shot, but rare for them to die as theyre not stressed out that much, the gears get stripped out as the main failure cause of loose mounting bolts.
i havent even used mine yet as it starts with one pull, bought it used and neglected a few years ago and the machine is over 30yrs old

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 02:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 546
I have starters on 4 of my 7 blowers, but never use them either.... mine start with pull cord just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page