How much play should there be in the auger pulley? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
How much play should there be in the auger pulley?

I recently replaced the auger belt on my Husq ST230P snow thrower. This got the auger spinning again however, when I hit snow, the whole machine started vibrating and eventually the auger stopped again. I took it apart again and checked it out and I noticed the auger pulley moves up and down about 3/4 an inch when you grab it. You can also reach around and grab the auger shaft or the impeller on the auger side of the machine and move the pulley up and down this way too. I put the belt back on and moved some more snow, the vibration was there and eventually the belt fell off the pulley and the auger stopped spinning again. The belt seems to fit fine when stationary, but when I hit snow or move the shaft the belt becomes real lose and this is causing the belt to come off while in operation.

I didn't notice it before, but should the auger pulley be able to move that much? I mean, you can move it only straight up and down, not side to side, and when you do this, the shaft and impeller move with it. What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 01:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 45
Likes (Received): 52
You need to take the machine apart and find out what is going on, 3/4" is way way too much movement. You probably need a new bearing but you might need bearing retainers also. There should only be a very small amount of movement of the auger pulley, so small that you can feel it but not really see it.

1986 Toro 524 (Predator 212 Hemi, Impeller Mod.)
1997 Toro 724
1997 Toro 824XL Power Throw
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 01:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 183
auger/impeller shaft bearing is shot

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 01:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 571
Likes (Received): 270
Looked at the IPL and looks like it's probably the ball bearing, 532 19 87-91 (1501389) BALL BEARING. Take it all apart and see what you find. Definitely do not run the machine any more or you could end up doing additional damage to the shaft itself.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes notabiker liked this post
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 543
Definitely surgery time . take your time and be careful safety first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page