5hp Tecumseh throttle and/or governor problem - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
5hp Tecumseh throttle and/or governor problem

This engine (pretty sure it's a Tecumseh lh195sp) will only run with the choke wide open...if I dial it back just a touch the engine dies immediately. I presumed it was the carb, but now that I've taken off the heater box I see that the throttle lever does not move the governor arm (which can be moved manually) and that is preventing the carb's butterfly from being opened (which opens and closes normally when the governor arm is moved manually). The spring connecting the throttle lever to the governor arm looks OK, so I'm not sure if this is even a problem. Watching some YouTube videos about linkage and governor issues I see that moving the throttle lever when the engine is not running may not move the governor lever or open the butterfly, so it may be the carb after all. I've shot a quick video and put it on YouTube here:

Any recommendations? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 07:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
its working as it should, the butterfly is wide open, the spring has constant tension on the Governor. ( the more throttle you give it the more the spring resists the governor arm, the Governor arm moves away from the carb to close the throttle)

also, when you move the throttle lever down, it activates a kill-switch which in turn kills spark and kills the engine. that lever should be fully up when you start the motor, then it kills it when you push it down (even slightly)

if it only runs with the choke fully open then thats perfectly normal (if you choke it then it starves for air and dies)

if it feels stiff then spray it with some wd40 or penetrating oil, should free everything up

hope this answers your question!

Last edited by markopollo; 12-05-2019 at 07:21 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks, but to clarify, the engine runs only when the choke is fully ON (from your description, I guess that means CLOSED).

Does that change your assessment? Thanks, RP
post #4 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 07:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpasley View Post
Thanks, but to clarify, the engine runs only when the choke is fully ON (from your description, I guess that means CLOSED).

Does that change your assessment? Thanks, RP
ok makes more sense

then the jet is clogged, its a simple fix, just unscrew the bowl and clear out the jet (could be the bowl nut or in the middle, you might need a metal brush hair to clear it, also use carb clean as well)

that should make it run like normal (hopefully, its a techumseh after all )
post #5 of 5 Old 12-05-2019, 08:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 183
its running lean, carb dirty probably main jet holes are plugged .
gov description sounds normal

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page