Anyone know what oil seals are used in MTD auger gear housings? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-09-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Question Anyone know what oil seals are used in MTD auger gear housings?

Hello, last week during the big storm, my 2008 Troy Bilt 2410 auger stopped working.
The brass worm gear was totaled and I had to get a new impeller shaft because I couldn't remove the broken bolt. I didn't hit anything nor have broken any shear pins, so I suspect it must have been just cumulative wear and heavy snow years ago. I am not the main user, it just of course gave up when I used it , I always try to avoid bogging it down and take it slow
I decided I was going to replace the oil seals on each half of the auger gearbox while I was in there, but after I removed them and tried to look up both the information on the seal, and in the parts diagrams, I cannot find any information anywhere.

The seal says "MTP 9409 31",from what I've looked up, MTP is a taiwanese oil seal manufactuer, but I cannot find a mention of 9409 anywhere at all. I checked both standard and metric seal sizes, and it doesn't seem like these numbers have anything to do with that either. One of the seals has some damage, so I can't just put them back in either.

For reference, here is the housing
MTD 9180123A Housing Reducer Assembly
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...t/mtd/9180123a
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Shovel liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-09-2019, 10:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
Mr Bill. Follow this link. #11 is the seal that I normally use when rebuilding this style gear box. You may want to verify your serial number on the MTD website. But this is the seal I stock and fits all the gear case I do on this style. It also lists the size on the seal too.

https://www.partstree.com/models/241...ger-housing-1/

GLuck Jay
post #3 of 4 Old 12-09-2019, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzAuto1 View Post
Mr Bill. Follow this link. #11 is the seal that I normally use when rebuilding this style gear box. You may want to verify your serial number on the MTD website. But this is the seal I stock and fits all the gear case I do on this style. It also lists the size on the seal too.

https://www.partstree.com/models/241...ger-housing-1/

GLuck Jay
Thank you for the response.

The seals in each side of the casing are different from the one at the rear, same internal diameter, but that one is both thicker and have a larger outer dimension. I thought they were all the same until I grabbed one from the trash and compared them side by side.
I've spent a few hours looking parts diagrams of every machine that has a matching housing as my machine and then searched for ones that mentioned at least 2 oils seals.

I found this diagram, item #45 is what I am seeking, I think it might be MTD 9210179 as from measurement the dimensions seem to match.
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/ja...neral-assembly
post #4 of 4 Old 12-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 142
Likes (Received): 57
Garage
Welcome Bill to the SB forum...

Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier!!
2019 Ariens Compact 24...
2013 Craftsman 22" 179cc better than shoveling
XM -1000, galvanized steel Shovel with gator grip tape....
Big Bad Kubota as a backup by neighbor.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page