LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Unread 12-10-2019, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Ariens Remote Wheel Lock Repair

I have a remote wheel lock Ariens that's been giving me some trouble and I found a very good solution. There's a guy on youtube who shows where to lube the sliding pawl/dog. BUT no one really gives you the low down on setting the adjustable cable length.

So here is what I found.

First of all get everything free and sliding.

I copied the you tube guy by pulling the spring that surrounds the axle away from the dog mechanism. Pulled it back with a couple of 90 degree picks and then clamped it out of the way with a vise grips.
I sprayed down the rusty stuff with some penetrating fluid. Worked the stationary left side of the dog device by turning it repeatedly. I ratcheted it past the click stop a number of times with a flat bladed screwdriver until I was happy that it was moving well. Then I used the same screwdriver as a lever and a punch to move the sliding section back and forth until it freed up. I made sure to slide it fully right and fully left to it's stops until it moved well.

I greased the splines between the dogs.

Next I over adjusted it with too little slack, ie. too tight. What that did was allow it to only work once, because the ratcheting device could not get to the next click.

Once I figured that out I took out some tension until the trigger allowed the ratchet to click to the next dog each time it was released and now it works the best I have experienced.

The key thing was getting the cable length just right. Once there is just about zero slack it works beautifully.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes rod330 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Unread 12-10-2019, 08:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 209
Likes (Received): 96
Great post....that mechanism is notorious for hanging up if it's not lubricated on a regular basis and the cable slack removed. Perhaps you can post the YouTube link. There's also another forum discussion with some great info posted by CO Snow (post #17) and my own post #18.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/foru...mal%C2%85.html

Here's a snapshot from the Owner's Manual to describe the cable tension adjustment on an Ariens 921 I just refurbished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 9.28.45 PM.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	160727  
post #3 of 3 Unread 12-11-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Thanks for the kind words.
I think I remember having an instruction page like that when i did the cable 2 years ago. But it's nowhere to be found in the manual for my 926102 which is a 2005 11528 with a 318cc Tecumseh engine.
So I thought I'd post my experience when I didn't find a post on how it's done.
Apparently I don't search well.

On the more practical side. We had a dusting today in southern NH so I had to do a quick scrape when I got home from work. It's a joy to use when everything works well. The axle lock clicks nicely now so I'm happy.
I almost started to get a different axle system altogether, glad I stayed with what I have. It's good that the wheels are locked when I go over the depressions in my driveway, keeps my machine nice and straight.
Plus I can keep the unspent money for more important things like food, beer, tools, boat parts...the normal things I wish for!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes rod330 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in