LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Blower problems.

Hello everyone. So last winter I was have problems with my blower running right. What would happen is, I'd have it started, would run fine for about a half an hour and then it would die. It would start up fine, run for a couple minutes and die. And on and on. Had a local guy look at it. Put in a a new carb and new gas lines. Started up better then it did before. Unfortunately, winter was at its end and I didn't get to use it after the fact.

Fast foward to this winter. Had some snow come down with some drifts so I put the blower to work. Maybe a half an hour of work and It ran perfect. Two weeks later we get more snow and drifts and started up the blower, let it warm up for a bit as it was like 1 below. Went to work and about a half an hour in, it died. Started it up and ran for a couple minutes and died. Did this like 4 times before I gave up.

So what are your thoughts? What makes a motor run when it's cold and die when its hot?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 546
Valves, condenser, possibly bad gas … ??
post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 03:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 571
Likes (Received): 270
Briggs troubleshooting guide:https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na...ving-tips.html

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 03:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 421
Likes (Received): 266
Sounds like a heat related problem. You could have tight valve clearances that need to be adjusted/loosened, another thing could be an ignition coil open when it gets hot.
See if you have spark when it dies to rule out the ignition coil, then if you have spark, try some starting fluid sprayed in the carburetor to rule out a fuel delivery problem to the carburetor, if you have fuel and spark, chances are you have tight valves that need to be adjusted.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Shaw351 liked this post
post #5 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 03:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 69
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 116
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
My first thought would be the ignition magneto on the flywheel is overheating internally and failing to provide a spark at the plug. The engine would likely cut out suddenly. An old spark plug may also be unreliable, but not likely on such a uniform time schedule.

The age of the machine would give an idea of the type of magneto. The current ones are all electronic and very reliable, while old machines would have points to open and close via a trigger and are problematic with age since the points wear and get burned so they don't conduct electricity well. Then there are some hybrids in the evolution. Can you give the engine manufacturer and an approximate age.

Can you describe how the engine shuts down: immediate, runs poorly and shuts down, backfires and engine speed varies and then shuts down, etc?

The more symptoms the easier the diagnosis, from afar.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #6 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 62
Woa, woa, woa. Let’s keep it simple before jumping into the complex. I’d wonder about a bad fuel cap that is not venting properly. Test it by loosening the fuel cap before starting. Start it up and let it run normally. If it doesn’t die, the fuel cap is the problem. Vented fuel caps can malfunction and not allow air into the tank. A vacuum can form after running for a while, fuel stops flowing and the engine dies. You can reconfirm by tightening the fuel cap snugly and restarting. When it runs long enough it will form a vacuum and die.

If this works, then 1) buy a new vented cap OR 2) use a torch and heat a sewing needle held with Vice Grips until the needle glows. Then touch the needle to the INSIDE of the fuel cap to melt a TINY hole. Before trying this, remove the cap, dry the inside of the cap and allow the cap to be exposed to air for a couple of hours. You don’t want a fire.

I did this to a gas cap before and it worked great. Making the hole by starting from the inside of the cap makes the smallest hole possible in the exterior. I never had any problems with water getting into the tank.

Let us know if this solves your problem.

Last edited by CO Snow; 12-11-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes vstorm, RIT333 liked this post
post #7 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 08:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 8
I second the fuel cap, the very first thing I would check.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-11-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Now that you mentioned that, the guy working on it did say that and he did put some holes in the cap. Maybe they have ice in them. I'll have to check that out. Thanks.

Last edited by Lance Anderson; 12-11-2019 at 11:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page