LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Spirit 27" 8hp Tec to Pred 212

Got this machine recently thru an online private sale. ran good when we checked it out, started up nice when we got it back home, started right up a few days later and made 2 passes of the driveway before dying. Now has 30lbs compression and I am confident the valves are leaking.

I'm a busy guy and have heard counless times of how swap and go these predator motors are, so after verifying crank dimensions and a little digging on swaps I went and picked up a 212 for $99 bucks on sale.

Got the pulleys on to the new shaft and all looked like smooth sailing, until I went to put the 212 on the on the blower and it doesnt line up with the belts. Using the existing mounting holes for the Tec, the 212 sits back about 1-1/2" from where it needs to be.

Some limited research shows that my Tec is a "big block" where as the 212 is a "small block" and while the mounting holes are dimensionally the same, their position relative to the engine as a whole is not the same. (pic attached)

Upon trying to research these dimensions online I'm coming up empty. Is the difference between the 2 a standardized layout or is it more case by case as far as location and alignment ?

Also does anyone see any possible issue with locating the 212 properly and drilling new holes thru ? Self tapping or clearance thru and nut from the bottom side ?

Thank you all in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191218_223510_1576765571085.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	161207  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 09:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
Corrected photo position ..

Last edited by oneacer; 01-20-2020 at 02:52 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 09:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 543
Some people grind off the old studs and drill and bolt the new engines on. Some need a longer stud, so they pop out the existing studs and replace them with longer bolts. ( I tack weld the heads of the bolts in the inside of the case, so they don't move upon setting the engine on _ or you can cut a plastic circle from a milk jug, punch a hole smaller than the bolt, and place it over the bolt to hold it in position while placing the engine on ) Then they also sell a plate that will bolt on (some make their own) and then have the correct bolt pattern for the new engine.

Many ways to do it.

Sample photo of what a pre-made plate might look like:

https://www.ebay.com/i/142456761563?...iABEgKLaPD_BwE
post #4 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
No studs on this blower, holes that bolts run down thru the top of the mounts on the engine in to what I assume are probably nuts welded to the underside of the mounting plate. I am a machinist by trade so actually doing what I am going to need to do is nothing, I'm just wondering if there are standardized dimensional differences that I can reference and lay out or If I would jist be better off lining up the 212 where everything seems happy and drilling some new holes that way.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Trying to avoid plates as it would elevate the engine, change the pulley position and I would assume require new larger belts as a result. Has nice belts already and trying to keep cost down.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 45
Likes (Received): 52
The 212 will be a direct fit for Tecumseh 5, 6, and 7 hp engines. It's normal when replacing an 8 hp and up with a 212 that a new mounting arrangement will have to be developed. Adjust the location of the 212 so that the pulleys line up correctly. Some people drill holes in the new position and use nuts and bolts, some drill holes, insert bolts/nuts from the inside and weld the bolts/nuts in place, some weld studs to the top of the transmission case, some make a mounting plate with welded studs and bolt the mounting plate to the transmission. When you drill new holes in the transmission case be sure to check for internal transmission parts that might be in the way of nuts or bolts. And when locating the 212, check for interference with the chute control rod, you might have to make some modifications but a small shift in engine location might avoid changes.

[You might have to consider spacers to raise the 212 because the crankshaft height on the 8hp is usually higher that the 212 (so any idlers or clutches work properly). edit: this statement is wrong, they are essentially the same]

1986 Toro 524 (Predator 212 Hemi, Impeller Mod.)
1997 Toro 724
1997 Toro 824XL Power Throw

Last edited by toromike; 12-19-2019 at 11:04 AM.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
toromike Thanks for the reply. Seems this is turning in to more work than even drilling some new holes and running some bolts. Upon realizing this I was considering the Pred 301 as the mounts and offsets would all be correct but that motor has a 1" shaft compared to my 3/4" shaft and would require sourcing new pulleys and that's a whole new mess trying to calulate all that out, it's also $140 more than the 212 lol.. Almost starting to look like a nice used or rebuilt Tec 8.0 might be the way to go for simplicities sake, as that was the whole idea behind the pred swap to begin with.

Last edited by cmi86; 12-19-2019 at 10:37 AM.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 10:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
I'm looking at page 18 on the 212cc Predator owner's manual and it lists the height of the center of the crank at 4.17 inches.

The typical 8-10 HP Tecumseh will have a height of 4.176" -> you should be able to account for the .006" difference in height without having to use new belts and whatnot.

I would use the mounting plate template that comes with the owner's manual and drill new holes to move the Predator 1.5" forward. I've attached a picture of it.

I usually mount engines using the "bolts from the bottom" method while using plastic strips to hold the bolts in place. Once the nuts are threaded onto the bolts, I pull the strips out before I tighten the nuts all the way down.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69730_W7.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	161211  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks toromike thanked for this post
Likes gibbs296 liked this post
post #9 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 10:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Tractor Supply Company is a good source for reasonably priced pulleys. There are other sources, just ask and I'm sure you will get several suggestions.

1997 Toro 724
post #10 of 20 Old 12-19-2019, 10:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Well, I don't know where I got the idea that the crank was higher on the 8hp, I just measured a 212 and a tec 8hp and db130 is correct, they are essentially the same height. Thanks db130.

1997 Toro 724

Last edited by toromike; 12-19-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page