How do I get a Troy-Bilt / Bolens gear case apart? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-22-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
How do I get a Troy-Bilt / Bolens gear case apart?

I have a gear case used in many pre-MTD Bolens /Troy-Bilt snow blowers. How the heck do I get the metal disk out so I can pull out the impeller shaft, or what is left of the impeller shaft?

I tried searching here and on Youtube to no avail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gearcase.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	161425  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-22-2019, 11:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Not sure what you mean by the metal disk. It looks like you already have the impeller shaft out. Do you mean the auger shaft? The auger shaft is keyed to the brass gear and that may be pretty tight. I remember having trouble getting mine apart 10 years ago. Do you already have the brass gear out?
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes eyebolt liked this post
post #3 of 11 Old 12-22-2019, 11:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 47
that cap? if it anything like the ariens 924 series cast iron gearbox its a sacrificial part you have to hammer out
Likes KennyW in CT liked this post
post #4 of 11 Old 12-22-2019, 11:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If by metal disk you mean the front cap, which looks like a Welch ( freeze ) plug, then ditto on punching it out. But honestly I don't see the impeller shaft in the picture, unless it snapped off. If I remember correctly, the impeller has to come off the shaft and then the shaft comes out the front when that plug is removed. I remember it not being fun.

Picture of worn shaft due to lack of lubrication. Shaft was still available in 2008 from MTD for $135.00. Consequently the brass gear took a beating and got replaced also @ a whopping $75.00. Also all the bearings got replaced. Total cost for parts was upward of $300.00. Also added a top vent to the gearbox and another oil level check bolt higher up on the side. Always keep the oil level up so this never happens again. Oil does leak out the seals at the higher level but not too much.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3426.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	350.8 KB
ID:	161427   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3428.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	161429  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks eyebolt thanked for this post
post #5 of 11 Old 12-23-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin View Post
Not sure what you mean by the metal disk. It looks like you already have the impeller shaft out. Do you mean the auger shaft? The auger shaft is keyed to the brass gear and that may be pretty tight. I remember having trouble getting mine apart 10 years ago. Do you already have the brass gear out?
On the end of the gear case it looks like there is a metal disk of some sort. I think that has to come out for the worm gear on the impeller shaft to slide out.

The impeller shaft snapped off right behind the worm gear inside the gear case. The worm gear is still in the gear case. The part is 1112634 which is called an expansion plug. There are a few on Ebay.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-23-2019, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It almost looks like the previous mechanic drilled a hole in that disk/plug to remove it and then plugged it with sealant. I am attaching a picture of the gear case assembly. Part 108 is what I am talking about. Part 109 is just sealant.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gearcase2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	161435  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-23-2019, 09:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
That all sounds correct about the plug. You should still be able to buy the parts from MTD online. A google search should yield some results with the MTD part numbers. Try lawnmowerpros.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 Old 12-23-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtpumpkin View Post
That all sounds correct about the plug. You should still be able to buy the parts from MTD online. A google search should yield some results with the MTD part numbers. Try lawnmowerpros.com
The problem is MTD doesn't have the parts available any longer. If I put the part number(s) in on the MTD website the search engine comes up with nothing.

The expansion plug is available as NOS at several places online. The impeller shaft I need I have not been able to find yet.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-23-2019, 10:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Received): 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by reader2580 View Post
The impeller shaft I need I have not been able to find yet.
It's an easy fix… Bring the shaft to a machine shop. They will weld new metal on it then re-machine it to the correct specs.
Good luck!

Claude.

2004 MURRAY BRUTE 10HP 29"
post #10 of 11 Old 12-23-2019, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
It's an easy fix… Bring the shaft to a machine shop. They will weld new metal on it then re-machine it to the correct specs.
Good luck!
I have tried to find a machine shop to do these types of repairs in the past and most are really job shops that make small orders of parts on CNC mills and CNC lathes. I have yet to find someone who can do these types of repairs.

I work at a company that also has a mid size manufacturing facility. I talked to the facility manager to see if he knows of a shop that could do the repairs and he gave me the name of someone. If the shaft had broke outside of the gear case it would an easy repair. It will need to be machined after welding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page