Ariens Platinum 30 - how to replace auger gear case oil seals? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-23-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens Platinum 30 - how to replace auger gear case oil seals?

New member, and a first post . . . howdy!

I have an Ariens model 921018 (Platinum 30, I think it is a 2011 model). It has a cast-iron auger gear box, and has developed a leak from the right-side auger gear-case seal.

I've replaced trailer bearings & grease seals in the past, and figured this was within my abilities, but it isn't obvious to me how to get the auger gear case disassembled so as to be able to pry out the seals. I might as well replace all three seals, if one is leaking, since they are all the same age.

FYI, the auger gear case was still about half full of lubricant when I removed the cover, and I don't see metal fragments inside the gear case. So I believe the auger gear case is still serviceable, if I can replace the leaking seal.

As a newbie I don't think I can post photos, but will try to post a link to the Ariens part manual:

https://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04336000a.pdf

The auger gear case parts diagram is on page 26 of that link. I haven't found a service manual, other than one that describes how to install a new gear case. Which would certainly be my easiest option, but I'm a frugal guy and would hate to spend $230 if all that is needed is a few dollars worth of oil seals plus some fresh lubricant.

My current best guess for how-to-dismantle the gear case is as follows. Am I on the right track?

1) remove the front cover (part #13; I assume it might pop off with a cold chisel & hammer?)

2) remove the circlip & bushing behind the cover

3) would the worm/impeller shaft then come out the front of the gear case?

4) would prying up on, and removing, the bushing retainer (part #16) be the next step?

5) does the woodruff key need to be tapped out of place with a punch or drift, to make the "rake shaft", as they label it, removable?

I'm ok with prying out and replacing the oil seals once the impeller/worm shaft & "rake shaft" are out of the way.

Thanks in advance for any advice that you guys can offer!

Last edited by geoguy; 12-23-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-23-2019, 12:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 72
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 157
Garage
I replaced seal 11 for the impeller shaft using a small sharp pic and screwdriver to remove the seal and with the impeller off slide the new seal down to the gearbox and tap it into place. The side oil seals I have not replaced (dealer did that the first time) but it appears to be the same procedure as the impeller seal. I cannot see any need to take the gearbox apart.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks geoguy thanked for this post
post #3 of 3 Old 12-23-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for that tip, Town.

I wouldn't have guessed that I could get enough leverage on the seal while the axle (or rake shaft) was still in place. I'll give your suggestion a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page