Lost almost all oil from my Techumseh HMKS-80 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-28-2019, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Lost almost all oil from my Techumseh HMKS-80

I recently replaced the output shaft seal thinking it was the culprit. I noticed the last storm, my drive wheel was slipping. It was then I noticed all the oil around the belt cover. I’m thinking it’s the gasket around the cover itself.

My question is, should I replace the gasket, or should I repower the unit with a HF motor. The Tec runs fine, but I’m worried there was damage done due to low oil. It didn’t blow a hole in the motor, thank goodness! If I reseal the Tec, do I have to use a gasket, or, can I use a FIP gasket maker? What are the torque values for those bolts?

Any help would be great. I don’t have the money for a new machine, nor do I want one.

Thanks,
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-28-2019, 08:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 546
I have an Ariens with the Predator 212 and it runs just great, better actually than one that I have put a new B&S Snow engine on. Personally, at 99.00, I would not even mess with an older engine. But that is a decision you can only make, and I'm sure there are others here that would rebuild the Tecumseh.

What kind of machine?
post #3 of 11 Old 12-28-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It’s Snapper 824
post #4 of 11 Old 12-28-2019, 12:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 52
You can try to tighten the sump cover bolts and see if that stops the leak. The least expensive thing to do is to replace the gasket. I suggest you use an oem gasket, the gasket sets the crankshaft end play and a different gasket may lead to improper clearance. Clean all gasket surfaces. Install the new gasket with a thin layer of gasket sealant on both sides of the gasket. If you have the sump cover off you might as well remove the connecting rod end cap (scratch mark the end cap orientation) and inspect the bearing for damage. If you don't find any damage the engine is probably fine. You can always put an engine on it later and you will only lose the cost of the gasket.
torque specs here
http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/ma...headmanual.pdf

1986 Toro 524 (Predator 212 Hemi, Impeller Mod.)
1997 Toro 724
1997 Toro 824XL Power Throw

Last edited by toromike; 12-28-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2, classiccat, rod330 liked this post
post #5 of 11 Old 12-28-2019, 12:33 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
Try the gasket/seal first, it's cheap and easy. That, and a Tec in decent shape is a far better engine than anything from Horrible Fraud . . . .
post #6 of 11 Old 12-28-2019, 01:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 480
Likes (Received): 849
I would probably try the easy/cheap stuff with the Tec first. An engine swap may mean figuring out new controls, belts & belt cover, mounts, etc. Not necessarily all of those, but some, at least. Snugging down your existing bolts is an easy place to start, and it's possible that changing the gasket might also be simpler.

Some of this depends on the details of your blower, of course. My current machine has part of the chute mechanism mounted to the engine, so if I swapped engines, I'd need to figure out a different approach for that. I'm sure some swaps are easier than others.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 11 Old 12-28-2019, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update: It was the output/ PTO shaft seal again. Good news is the oil level ended up still in the hashed area in the dipstick. Going to pickup another seal and try again.

Are all those seals the same across the HMKS line?
post #8 of 11 Old 12-28-2019, 05:44 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
Make sure that there aren't any burrs on the shaft, and if you are not already doing so, cover any threads, keyways, etc. on the shaft when you fit the new one so that it canot be damaged.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-28-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I think it was my fault. I don’t think I greased the rubber enough
post #10 of 11 Old 12-28-2019, 08:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 231
Thanks (Received): 199
Likes (Given): 2045
Likes (Received): 517
good find on the leak!

you might have main "bearing" wear...resulting in play in the output shaft; when you engage traction/auger, it's able to pull down on the seal.

On these tecs, you're lucky if you have a brass sleeve there... unfortunately on newer models, its most likely just a machined surface in the aluminum sump cover (higher quality engines will have ball bearings here).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

('87 Toro 38150 826)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page