Is it safe to move the Auger Shaft side to side through the gearcase? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-29-2019, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Is it safe to move the Auger Shaft side to side through the gearcase?

Think I need to move an auger shaft to the left in order to properly space the auger components

I just replaced the gearcase assembly in a 24" Ariens, all the bucket components are back in and found that he right auger doesnt spin on the shaft like it should. Things appear to be so tight that it's metal to metal on both sides (between the gear case and the auger shaft bracket.

Left auger spins great and there seems to be a surplus of space on the left side of the auger.
I had a shear pin in the right auger but after removing it, I can no longer find the hole on the auger shaft through the right auger, I think there must have been some tension and when I removed the pin that tension shifted things further.

I'm new to all of this and don't want to start beating on parts and wreck the gears in the gearbox.
What is a safe way to move the gear shaft to the left to remove the tight fit on the right side?

Thanks in advance for advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-29-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Made some progress, but have a new issue.

Things seemed off due to the impeller shaft and the bushing in the back but once I pulled the bushing and just bolted in the auger shaft brackets I found that the impeller shaft out the back is off center by about 3/16.

Not sure what's up, I need to move to the right but currently there is NO space between the right auger, the gear bx and the right auger bracket. It's almost like I need to cut a bit off the right auger in order to make things line up which is not how this should work.

Maybe the replacement gearbox assembly and shafts is not fully compatible with my model or is older than what this gear case assembly is meant to replace.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 01:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 62
Silly thought but did you flip the ribbon over on the right side when assembling?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks srj19 thanked for this post
post #4 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 01:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 38
Notabiker, can you explain what your asking. What's the ribbon? First time ever hearing this word regarding a SNOWBLOWER.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 02:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 107
Likes (Received): 62
It's the thing that looks like a twisted ribbon of steel which what moves the snow to the middle area near the gear case so that it can eventually make its way to the impeller which is what shoves the snow out that little hole and along the chute which is the long thingy that sticks up in front of the engine which directs the snow to the neighbors driveway.......

The snowblowers I've been using let you throw 5,000 tons of snow per hour and cast up to 200 feet until I moved and could only justify a personal snowblower with single digit horsepower vs the 750 hp ones. Probably a good thing as the big Oshkosh would be hard pressed to keep the snow within my lot at an idle and a high arc!

If I'd ever called them "augers" not a single person in the shop would have any idea what I was even talking about, in fact nobody in my 2 decades of running them has ever referred to them as anything but ribbons.

There is a little bit of sarcasm in there if you couldn't tell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oshkosh H2923B.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	161807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-12-30 Dual Engine Blower Runway Snow Removal Oshkosh Airport Products.png
Views:	25
Size:	752.8 KB
ID:	161809  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 07:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Received): 540
@srj19,

Sounds like you may have reversed the augers ? … i.e. left side on right, etc.

When dismantling things, you should always note from where they came, i.e., photo, marking or in a marked area, etc. , for reassembly, …. or bag and tag on small items.

Many things like some tire tread, some augers as well, some rims, gears, etc. … are also one way specific, which have to be noted.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I thought I was careful to keep the left and right seperated and on appropriate sides of the garage.

I've been watching YT vids to study "correct" so I can identify when the Augers have been reversed.

So far I all I've noticed is that when looking at the bucket straight on, augers appear as : // 0 \\

This site seems to show that the above auger config will direct snow into the center of the machine/impeller, when auger shaft rotates counter clockwise. How to measure your flighting - Auger Supplies WA

If reversing the augers is the issue, (and assuming the gear case is dead center correct), wouldn't that mean that left and right are NOT the exact same length? That would seem to be something "confirmable" but I've not found that detailing in any online parts seller for the augers.

Stupid box stores that sell Ariens around me don't seem to think anybody would ever need gearcase lube so I'm off to the small engine shop to get some. I'll see if I can get the ear of anybody in the shop to see if my fit experiences rings any bells.

I think I need to unbolt the gearcase/auger/impeller assembly and pull it out to do some more monkeying with it, I want to double check some assumptions, make sure auger shaft length is identical on both sides, same with augers, check shaft on old part compared to new and see if I can work the gear case body over to the right when disconntected and see if that helps when I put it back in.

Last edited by srj19; 12-30-2019 at 01:28 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 04:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 38
This site seems to show that the above auger config will direct snow into the center of the machine/impeller, when auger shaft rotates counter clockwise. How to measure your flighting - Auger Supplies WA
[/QUOTE]Not sure how you figure clockwise. We can agree to call the right side of the blower RIGHT when standing in front of the dash. Now stand to the right side of the auger housing facing the blower. From this vantage point the rotational direction would be clockwise. Once you know its rotation then from the front view each auger would have to move so that the ribbons move the snow to the center of the bucket.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 04:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 81
Thanks (Received): 212
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 767
Just did a gearbox on an ST824 model 924050 this afternoon....one side of the "Ribbons " was a little shorter where if matched up to the gearbox then the other...
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes notabiker liked this post
post #10 of 13 Old 12-30-2019, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Was referring to the lowest series of graphics (R.H Pitch and L.H Pitch).
The Top image of this corresponds to a watch facing the right side of the bucket and is moving counter clockwise.

From what I've seen at the dealers I just visited the augers appear correctly installed.
The support brackets which reinforce the ribbons/augers have a C shaped and have the open side facing the outside of the bucket for both. The ribbons are opposing which according to the diagram should move snow to the center of the bucket.

Still have to tear down and measure some stuff.
I'm starting to fear that the late model gear case assemblies may differ slightly from the 2005 Ariens I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page