LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-31-2019, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Auger and Impeller contact

We had some crazy weather this last week with heavy wet snow and rain followed up by colder temps. Now everything has frozen back up and this evening I was snowblowing some fresh snow that now had an ice crust to it. It must have been pretty hard because all of a sudden, my simplicity snowblower started having a severe shake while the auger was engaged. Further inspection reveals a part of the auger now comes into contact with the impeller. Nothing is visibly bent from what I can see and the impeller doesn’t seem to have much play to it. The correct shear pins are installed I will also add. What do I need to start looking at to find out the issue? Like I said, nothing appears visibly bent and the impeller doesn’t have any unusual play to it. It is a simplicity model 1695326. I can add pics if that is helpful but like I said, everything looks normal to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-31-2019, 06:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 571
Likes (Received): 270
Wow, and welcome to the forum.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #3 of 13 Old 12-31-2019, 06:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 76
Likes (Received): 463
Garage
Shake the impeller arm, maybe the impeller bearing; shake the auger shaft, maybe the auger housing bearings; check the 4-6 bolts on the sides that hold the tractor section to the auger housing.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #4 of 13 Old 12-31-2019, 06:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 127
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 469
Likes (Received): 816
Sounds to Me Like Roll Pins on Impeller Broke, and Impeller moved Forward

"Thank You Mr. Know it All!"
post #5 of 13 Old 12-31-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I changed the auger belt a month ago so I had those bolts loose to swap the belt. I did check those and they were all snug.

How does one check the roll pins referenced above? The entire impeller moving forward makes the most sense to me based on how nothing looks bent and the impeller doesn’t have play. I’m going to try to inspect further but not sure how to inspect the bearings. Would the symptom for bad bearings just be play in the shaft?

I will also add I live in northern MN and we’ve already had something crazy like 3+ ft of snow so far this winter. This last storm was nuts. 7 inches of snow, then a day of rain and sleet, now today it dropped back below freezing so all that slop hardened up and is nasty. Luckily I got almost everything snowblowed before it refroze but I was trying to do a little touch up today when this happened.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-31-2019, 08:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 342
Likes (Given): 480
Likes (Received): 849
Look where the impeller rides on the shaft that goes forward to the augers gearbox. There may be some holes in the impeller's tube, that would go through holes in the impeller shaft. That's where the roll pins would be.

You could try pushing/pulling the impeller along that shaft, if it slides, the roll pins are broken.

You could also (with the engine off, and spark plug wire removed) use something to keep the augers-engagement handle squeezed. Then use a stick or something to try and turn the impeller. With the augers handle squeezed, the impeller will be linked to the engine, so the impeller should be fairly hard to turn. If it turns easily, and/or without the impeller shaft also turning, then those roll pins are broken.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 13 Old 12-31-2019, 08:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 151
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 546
I would also surmise the impeller roll pins.

If the augers are stable in the side housing and gear box, the impeller hitting the auger has to be the impeller moved forward. Just sayin …
post #8 of 13 Old 12-31-2019, 09:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 24
Another vote for impeller roll pins

Ariens 1969 10,000 Series-- Tractor 10965 serial # 005841 with 10995 serial # 023507 Sno-Thro
post #9 of 13 Old 01-01-2020, 10:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 98
I looked at the parts diagram for this machine and it appears that it doesn't use roll pins.The impeller is keyed to the shaft and is locked with a 3/8 bolt-like a pulley.

It also looks like the shaft has a shoulder for the impeller hub to rest against,so I'm not sure the impeller could move forward if the key is sheared.

The tips of the impeller arms are bent at an angle for scooping action.I wonder if one of those is bent outward and touching the auger.I know the OP said he believes nothing is bent,but.....

I have an older simplicity and I've had to bend those back after hitting rocks.In fact,this fall,I had to completely remove the auger/impeller and bend the whole thing back into shape.You wouldn't think it was possible as heavy gauge as the steel is.I doubt the newer machines are built as rugged.

Last edited by Mike C.; 01-01-2020 at 10:29 AM.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-01-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you everyone for the responses. Upon further review this morning, there is one pin/bolt in the impeller shaft that is still intact keeping the impeller properly attached to the shaft.

I feel like an idiot because I can now see there is a slight bend to one of the impeller fins as it straightened out a little. I don't know how I didn't notice this last night. The two pics show the bent fin (the one with the piece of blue painters tape on it) and one of the non bent fins for reference. It looks like a replacement impeller is around $120, so I think I might try to bend the fin back before completely replacing it. I was going to add some heat to it with a torch and see if I can bend it back. I'm assuming I want to avoid banging on it with a hammer to avoid damaging the gears, is that right? Does anyone have any tips for trying to bend this fin back into place?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	161981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1445.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	161983  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page