Cub Cadet surging/hunting, only runs on full choke,even after new carb - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-31-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
cpk

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Cub Cadet surging/hunting, only runs on full choke,even after new carb

Hi gang. I have a question/problem I'm hoping someone can help with. I have a 1 year old Cub Cadet 2x24 I bought used after only 1 season of use. I drained the old fuel and filled it with high octane, ethanol free fuel. When I ran it, it would surge/hunt with the choke off. I took off the carb, sprayed with Gumout, took off the jet and sprayed it with Gumout, took a small wire and cleaned out the jet and all the little holes with it, cleaned the bowl, then put it all back. It still surged but then also backfired. I purchased a new carb for it (this model is a Powermore 670-wub engine and only OEM carbs exist for it) and put it on last night with new gaskets. Again, same problem: only runs on full choke and surges on half choke and dies with the choke off. Any ideas on what's going on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-31-2019, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 590
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4371
Likes (Received): 1743
Garage
to SBF cpk

Have you checked the spark plug for gap, insulator cracking and general appearance ? You likely have a carb issue but a new plug would be cheap insurance before going through the trouble of sending this one back for a replacement. The problem is new doesn't always mean good.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-31-2019, 10:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 183
it's running lean. , why? idk. u got to much air or not enough fuel for the fuel mix ratio . u seemed to do obvious fix. u probably need to change the air fuel mix but i dont think u can on that carb. bore out the jet little or buy a bigger one

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vinnycom; 12-31-2019 at 10:34 PM.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-01-2020, 12:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 76
Likes (Given): 70
Likes (Received): 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpk View Post
Hi gang. I have a question/problem I'm hoping someone can help with. I have a 1 year old Cub Cadet 2x24 I bought used after only 1 season of use. I drained the old fuel and filled it with high octane, ethanol free fuel. When I ran it, it would surge/hunt with the choke off. I took off the carb, sprayed with Gumout, took off the jet and sprayed it with Gumout, took a small wire and cleaned out the jet and all the little holes with it, cleaned the bowl, then put it all back. It still surged but then also backfired. I purchased a new carb for it (this model is a Powermore 670-wub engine and only OEM carbs exist for it) and put it on last night with new gaskets. Again, same problem: only runs on full choke and surges on half choke and dies with the choke off. Any ideas on what's going on here?
The new engines are made to run really lean to reduce hydrocarbon emissions. Unfortunately, this makes them more prone to running extra lean which means surging and sometimes even stalling. Also, check the base of the carburetor and where the carburetor attaches to the airbox to see if it is making a good seal since even a tiny air leak could affect the engines running. If you can achieve a stable and smooth running engine by introducing some choke you will need to enrich the fuel/air mixture by hogging out the jet a little bit or simply buying a bigger main jet. I have a Predator 212cc on two snowblowers and I enlarged the hole in the main jet and they both work great when it is cold.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks driz thanked for this post
post #5 of 17 Old 01-01-2020, 09:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 98
I looked up the parts diagram for that engine and noticed something interesting in the parts list for that carburetor-it lists a "mixture screw".

Does that carb actually have adjustable idle mixture or,as I suspect,it's a tamper-proof setup like the other Honda clones?

I would check the governor system and make sure the small throttle return spring is attached correctly and not stretched/deformed.

The throttle return spring came off the carb on my HF Greyhound engine and it had a tendency to surge.

Check that clamp on governor arm is tight and make sure governor is adjusted/operating correctly-no slop.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-01-2020, 10:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 173
Thanks (Received): 341
Likes (Given): 479
Likes (Received): 848
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've done the usual suggestions.

I would check for air leaks around the carb, where it mounts to the engine. With the engine running, you can spray something flammable (like carb cleaner) around the carb/engine interface & gasket. Don't accidentally get it into the carb's intake (using a spray straw helps). If the engine's sound changes while spraying around that gasket, then you have an air leak, which is letting raw air into the engine, making your mixture too-lean.

You used new gaskets, so this is rather unlikely, but it's easy enough to check.

With a new carb, an air leak around the throttle shaft through the carb is also unlikely, but possible.

Since it's a used machine, are you certain the carb's throttle and governor linkages are attached correctly? Admittedly, it definitely sounds like you're running lean, since it dies with no choke, rather than simply surging. If you hold the throttle plate open, will it still die with the choke off?

As others have said, you may need to open the main jet's orifice slightly. You can use micro-drills for this, or torch tip cleaners also work. Since you've bought a new carb, you could modify the original jet, and still have the ability to go back to stock, by using the new carb's jet. Only make a small change at a time, though, then test it, since you can't put the metal back

Does it make good power when you have the choke on? The backfiring seems interesting; is it still doing that with the new carb?

If there *is* any mixture adjustment available, as Mike C saw, that would be preferable, of course.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Mike C. liked this post
post #7 of 17 Old 01-01-2020, 11:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 120
Likes (Received): 98
I'd careful about what Mike C. says because it appears he's as blind as a bat-somehow I didn't notice the part where it says it will only run on "full choke".I would say the governor is not involved with the surging in that case.I need coffee.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, db130 liked this post
post #8 of 17 Old 01-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 97
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 462
Garage
Follow everyone's advice here, all great, nothing incorrect said, nothing else but generally for that problem it goes back to the carb. Try soaking the carb in Berrymans carb dunk carb cleaner tank, spray a carb cleaner in the holes, use a welding torch tip cleaner, remove the Welch plug if you have one, drain the gas in a 2l clear soda bottle looking for cloudiness, discoloration, and water on the bottom.

1986 Ariens ST522, 5hp, 22"
1995 Murray Craftsman 10hp, 29" w. 12" impeller
A 1983 Real John Deere 10hp, 32" w. 12" impeller, 16" auger, 20" high front, cast iron gear box, chains
Noma 9hp, 27" w. 12" impeller
Noma 5hp, 24" w. 12" impeller, 20" high front
Gravely Convertible, 12hp Kohler cast iron, 26" width, 600 lbs of cast iron & steel, 2 speed impeller, 4 ground speeds
Dynamark 8hp, 26", 12" impeller, for sale
Several other 5hp, 8hp, several 2 cycle, all for sale
post #9 of 17 Old 01-01-2020, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 80
I am not sure where CARB cleaner got a repautio0j as a thing to spray into a carb. Ergh, and then you are bearing the stuff that comes out. Just because it will burn, DOES NOT MEAN ITS A GOOD IDEA!

Try an unlit propane torch, Propane and MAPP burns well and right and burns cleanly.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)
post #10 of 17 Old 01-02-2020, 02:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
I am not sure where CARB cleaner got a repautio0j as a thing to spray into a carb. Ergh, and then you are bearing the stuff that comes out. Just because it will burn, DOES NOT MEAN ITS A GOOD IDEA!

Try an unlit propane torch, Propane and MAPP burns well and right and burns cleanly.
easier to spray a flammable liquid down the throat of a carb than trying to use propane, not everyone has a bottle of propane/mapp gas but we all have some kind of flammable spray in our garage. this method has been around since the invention of the combustion engine(spraying a flammable liquid into a carb)

its all good for the short amount of time we are using it for, these simple motors arent as delicate as some may think

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

Last edited by vinnycom; 01-02-2020 at 02:53 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 87powershiftx2 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page