LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-04-2020, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 47
Likes (Given): 276
Likes (Received): 157
Tecumseh OHSK130 Misfiring

This one has me a bit puzzled so I wanted to get advice before proceeding down a blind alley.

This is a Cub Cadet 1333SWE with a Tecumseh OHSK130 (223813B spec number) with a 1998 DOM. From the video link, you can hear and see it intermittently miss, pop and puff smoke from the carb. It does this at idle and full throttle regardless of engine temperature.

It's far less likely to happen at 3/4 choke so I initially thought it was a fuel related problem. I went through my usual carb cleaning processes without success. I replaced it with a new Chinese carb, replaced all the fuel lines, installed a new spark plug, adjusted the valves to factory specs, drained fuel and replaced with fresh non-ethanol .....same outcome. I did not replace the carb gasket or the fuel shut-off valve since they looked good. I did spray carb cleaner around the gasket and it does not seem to have an air leak. I haven't tested RPM yet but idle and full throttle sound normal to my untrained ears.

I gave up for today but my plan is to install my inline spark tester with a thought toward a faulty coil. It still seems like a fuel issue but I'm not sure what I'd try next on that level. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-04-2020, 06:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Seems like a classic timing issue. Intake valve staying/sticking open during part of compression cycle. Bad valve spring or guide or seat or cam?
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks rod330 thanked for this post
post #3 of 13 Old 01-04-2020, 06:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 46
Garage
Sucking air somewhere if it runs good choked. Betting on the carb gasket that looked good...

Ariens 1027le
Meyer 8' Stainless Lot Pro fitted to 2012 F250
17 Arctic Cat Mtn Cat, for the day after
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 13 Old 01-04-2020, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 337
Likes (Given): 477
Likes (Received): 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeb02 View Post
Seems like a classic timing issue. Intake valve staying/sticking open during part of compression cycle. Bad valve spring or guide or seat or cam?
That seems reasonable. rod330, does it behave differently at high RPM vs low? If the intake valve was slow to close, maybe it would happen more often at high RPM.

Does it have good power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Holm View Post
Sucking air somewhere if it runs good choked. Betting on the carb gasket that looked good...
Certainly not a bad thing to replace. But spraying around the carb/engine interface should have helped test it for leaks.

I'm certainly scratching my head. Valve adjustment was my first thought, but you did that. I'd do a compression test if it were me, just to see what that shows.

If you had the ability to do a leakdown test it might reveal an intake valve that isn't fully sealing, even when it's just sitting there, as air leaking out through the carb. Could be a chunk of something sitting on the valve seat, or a worn valve and/or seat.

I don't have a leakdown tester, but apparently you can modify a spark plug and add an air fitting, and then use that to pressurize the cylinder. You won't get any leakage gauge readings, but you'd be able to listen for air coming out of different areas (carb, muffler, or oil fill tube). Or maybe you can buy a commercial fitting that would allow attaching an air line. Some compression tester fittings might help with this, for instance. I've never tried to rig something up, but it's probably something I should investigate before suddenly needing it.

If it was a valve that was sticking a bit, I wonder if adding some 2-stroke oil to the gas might help give a bit of extra lubrication, as the fuel mixture flowed past? It probably wouldn't hurt anything, at least.

It's a long shot, and seems pretty unlikely. But I've heard that really-excessive carbon buildup in the cylinder can cause pre-ignition. Little areas of that carbon can stay hot enough to light off the next fuel charge. It may be possible that, when you add choke, things run a little cooler, and you're less likely to get bad hot-spots. I'm sure this is a reach. But I'm just trying to think of anything that might be consistent with what you're seeing.

I'd certainly do the ignition test. But I don't think I get action out of the carb when I turn off my OHSK100 ignition, which would be somewhat similar behavior to the coil suddenly not firing.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #5 of 13 Old 01-04-2020, 09:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 58
Did you check the flywheel key? I would do that before a leak down.
post #6 of 13 Old 01-04-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Does it behave differently at high RPM vs low? If the intake valve was slow to close, maybe it would happen more often at high RPM.

Certainly not a bad thing to replace. But spraying around the carb/engine interface should have helped test it for leaks.

Valve adjustment was my first thought, but you did that. I'd do a compression test if it were me, just to see what that shows.

If you had the ability to do a leakdown test it might reveal an intake valve that isn't fully sealing, even when it's just sitting there, as air leaking out through the carb. Could be a chunk of something sitting on the valve seat, or a worn valve and/or seat.

I'd certainly do the ignition test. But I don't think I get action out of the carb when I turn off my OHSK100 ignition, which would be somewhat similar behavior to the coil suddenly not firing.
The problem occurs at low and high RPM but it does run better at full throttle; that kind of makes me think it isn't related to the intake. I wish I had measured valve clearance before I started adjustment but both intake and exhaust were way out of tolerance.

Replacing the carb gasket will take just a few minutes so I'll begin there when I can get back to it next week.

Thanks so much!
post #7 of 13 Old 01-04-2020, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by AriensProMike View Post
Did you check the flywheel key? I would do that before a leak down.
Ahh...another great suggestion...I'll add that to the list.

Thanks guys!
post #8 of 13 Old 01-05-2020, 09:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 115
It may be a good idea to check the coil gap.... BEFORE pulling the flywheel. Only takes a couple minutes to get the cover off to check. Also, try spraying the ignition coil, wire and boot with water from a spray bottle & checking for flying sparks. Helps to look in a darkened garage. But I think you may find a bad Ignition coil causing your misfire.

GLuck, Jay
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes oneboltshort, rod330 liked this post
post #9 of 13 Old 01-05-2020, 12:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 72
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 183
its valves and /or timing, my bet is valves, valves arent seating fully so need to be reseated , most likely intake, or valves clearances are out of spec

Bought a dead but now fixed 1980ish craftsman II 10/28....ITS ONE HEAVY BEAST

MY VIDS ON FIXIN HER UP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 Old 01-10-2020, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Once again, thanks for all of the valuable input. I haven't had a chance to work on the Cub until this afternoon.

I verified the valve lash, replaced the carb gasket and reset the ignition module air gap. No luck, same outcome.

I ordered a new ignition coil just to eliminate that possibility and then I'll check the flywheel key. If it boils down to a valve problem, I'll be venturing into uncharted territory.

Last edited by rod330; 01-10-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page