GAR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 248
Likes (Received): 150
Garage
Honda hs622 Surging

I have a Honda HS622 that I am tuning up. I have pulled and cleaned the carburetor using OEM Honda gasket kit, replaced gas line with OEM gas line & the inline fuel filter, replaced spark plug and changed the oil. But for the life of me I can figure out why it’s still surging. I have pulled the carb again and doubled checked and cleaned it again, I have checked to make sure I am getting good fuel flow, I have checked with carb fluid for air leaks, i changed spark plug twice, I checked compression and the valve lash.....Nothing I am doing is helping. Any advice with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I am including this video off my security camera, if you turn your sound up you can here it. It’s not surging badly but enough to make me crazy...lol

"When I no longer thrill to the first snow i'll know i've grown old"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-15-2020, 09:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 763
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 1584
Likes (Received): 1681
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAR View Post
I have a Honda HS622 that I am tuning up. I have pulled and cleaned the carburetor using OEM Honda gasket kit, replaced gas line with OEM gas line & the inline fuel filter, replaced spark plug and changed the oil. But for the life of me I can figure out why itís still surging. I have pulled the carb again and doubled checked and cleaned it again, I have checked to make sure I am getting good fuel flow, I have checked with carb fluid for air leaks, i changed spark plug twice, I checked compression and the valve lash.....Nothing I am doing is helping. Any advice with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I am including this video off my security camera, if you turn your sound up you can here it. Itís not surging badly but enough to make me crazy...lol
https://youtu.be/ssefeXpFDKQ
did you remove main jet, emulsion tube , idle jet , and clean out all holes ? how about that tiny 1 by 4 mm Oring that goes on the idle jet.? i change that if it's flat or deformed.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks GAR thanked for this post
post #3 of 15 Old 01-15-2020, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
GAR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 68
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 248
Likes (Received): 150
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
did you remove main jet, emulsion tube , idle jet , and clean out all holes ? how about that tiny 1 by 4 mm Oring that goes on the idle jet.? i change that if it's flat or deformed.
Yes I cleaned everything very well, I completely took apart carb and ultrasound cleaned it. Before reassembling I spray it out with carb cleaner and blow it out with air gun just to be extra certain it clean. I replaced all the o rings, gaskets....etc.
Ok so I messed with it a little more tonight trying to diagnose what exactly itís doing. This is so frustrating, I have tuned up hundreds of blowers so itís not like I am new to this stuff.....Ok I just found that when I turn the gas supply off to the carb that the engine starts to smooth out....Ummmmmm. So this would be a flooded float or float pin not seating.....Right? I will take the carb bowel off tomorrow and check these things. There is definitely something dumb that I am missing. This issue could all come down to a big old brain fart....lol

"When I no longer thrill to the first snow i'll know i've grown old"
post #4 of 15 Old 01-15-2020, 10:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Yes I cleaned everything very well, I completely took apart carb and ultrasound cleaned it. Before reassembling I spray it out with carb cleaner and blow it out with air gun just to be extra certain it clean. I replaced all the o rings, gaskets....etc.
Ok so I messed with it a little more tonight trying to diagnose what exactly it’s doing. This is so frustrating, I have tuned up hundreds of blowers so it’s not like I am new to this stuff.....Ok I just found that when I turn the gas supply off to the carb that the engine starts to smooth out....Ummmmmm. So this would be a flooded float or float pin not seating.....Right? I will take the carb bowel off tomorrow and check these things. There is definitely something dumb that I am missing. This issue could all come down to a big old brain fart....lol
yup. sounds like overfilling. I'm the same way. have done hundreds and sometimes it's something simple. one time i put bowl on backward and was wondering why it was leaking from top.

ya, take a time out and revisit with fresh eyes.

post #5 of 15 Old 01-15-2020, 11:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 421
Likes (Received): 266
It sounds like the slow jet is clogged. Most people do not know about the tiny hole in the bottom of it, that is where the fuel goes through, the big hole is for the air to mix with the fuel.
As O.P. mentioned, check the tiny "O" ring on the jet, many times it gets damaged when re-installing the little black plastic slow jet. I always put a light coating of silicon grease on it before I install them.
The engine might sputter a little bit until it rinses off the grease at first, then it will clear up and idle fine, and no surging at full throttle.
When the engine is running full throttle with "No Load" it is taking most of its fuel from the slow jet because the throttle plate is barely open, when under load it opens further and then it takes fuel from the main jet due to the governor opening the throttle plate further.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, orangputeh liked this post
post #6 of 15 Old 01-16-2020, 07:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 219
Quote:
Ok so I messed with it a little more tonight trying to diagnose what exactly itís doing. This is so frustrating, I have tuned up hundreds of blowers so itís not like I am new to this stuff.....Ok I just found that when I turn the gas supply off to the carb that the engine starts to smooth out....Ummmmmm. So this would be a flooded float or float pin not seating.....Right? I will take the carb bowel off tomorrow and check these things. There is definitely something dumb that I am missing. This issue could all come down to a big old brain fart....lol

so does it smooth out if you start giving it choke? that would indicate its lean. if not i suppose it could be rich. i have never seen that really.

what about when your blowing snow and under load ? if it doesn't surge that would indicate its the low or idle circuit is at fault and the main circuit is good.

it seems you have done your due diligence. sometimes it might be easier to buy a cheap replacement carb off ebay or amazon and put it on and see if that works.

Ariens ProPath 21 208cc ...honda HS621 GX160
Toro 621 6hp 4 cycle ....Craftsman SS ???
....Honda HS624 GX160 Toro 828 lxe Tecumseh 8hp
post #7 of 15 Old 01-16-2020, 07:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
i just listened to the video you posted. that defiantly isn't a traditional lean surge. its more of a engine miss IMO.

post #8 of 15 Old 01-16-2020, 08:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbelt_subie View Post
i just listened to the video you posted. that defiantly isn't a traditional lean surge. its more of a engine miss IMO.
I was thinking the same thing until he mentioned it smoothed out when he shut off gas valve. if the bowl is overfilling would the engine run like it had a miss? or too much gas getting to it?

post #9 of 15 Old 01-16-2020, 09:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
I was thinking the same thing until he mentioned it smoothed out when he shut off gas valve. if the bowl is overfilling would the engine run like it had a miss? or too much gas getting to it?

you know im not sure ive had experience of leaky carbs on 2 cycle toro's but they seem to run fine if you can get them started. they start hard like they are flooded (which they are lol).

if i were im i would buy a cheap carb and be done with it. it seems like he tried and spent more time than i would have messing with it.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #10 of 15 Old 01-16-2020, 10:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 421
Likes (Received): 266
That miss sounds more like an ignition miss-fire. Bad plug wire or ignition coil arcing at high speed. Check the ground wire for the coil and key switch, the key switch or terminal could be going bad and don't forget to check your valve clearance.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page