LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-16-2020, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Simplicity Deflector Control Cable

I've had this simplicity model 1695326 for the last 3 years and it has treated me very well. Aside from some shear pins, an auger belt and a bent impeller fin, I have been pretty lucky on the repairs and maintenance front. Last night I went to snowblow my driveway and the deflector control cable was no longer working. It seemed to be locked up rather than completely broken. When I try to adjust the lever to adjust the deflector angle, I can see the cable near the chute moving slightly when I apply pressure, so that tells me the cable isn't completely broken. Like it wants to adjust the deflector but something is locked up. If I applied anymore pressure, I feel like the cable would completely snap.

Is this a common problem? I tried doing some searches but didn't have much luck. Aside from completely replacing the cable, is there any trouble shooting that can be done? Looking for any tips to free up this cable. I was looking in my manual and it says to NOT lubricate the deflector control so I'm assuming that is not an option. The snowblower is stored in a fully insulated, non-heated garage, so the temps are usually hovering right around 30-35 degrees depending on outside temps.

Last edited by Jwmiller39; 01-16-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2020, 11:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
Have you tried spraying some WD40 or PB blaster inside the cable sheath? I'm looking at the owner's manual and it says to not lubricate the remote deflector control. It doesn't say to not lube the cable (Besides, why would they? They would rather sell you a new cable).

Here's a youtube video showing a $10 cable lube tool:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by db130; 01-16-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 4 Old 01-18-2020, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 587
Thanks (Received): 769
Likes (Given): 4352
Likes (Received): 1734
Garage
Don't waste the WD40 (unless it's the WD40 penetrating oil), go straight to the PB blaster or any penetrating oil. Besides being designed to penetrate they also leave oil behind.
Regular WD40 in the blue and yellow can is great for cleaning tools but IMHO it just doesn't work very well as a lubricant.
You can also gently bend the cable along it's length to try and free up the cable from the sheath and work the lube in there.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #4 of 4 Old 01-18-2020, 12:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 201
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 413
Likes (Received): 266
If it is a "Stranded" type cable and not a "solid core" type cable, it could be starting to break apart inside the outer cable jacket housing, and would need the cable replaced before it either breaks all the way or jams up to the point it will no longer work anymore.
A motorcycle shop usually sells special cable lubricant, many times a "Dry type" with Graphite in it that works well and coated everything without leaving a sticky residue like regular penetrating oil will do.
It goes in "Wet" then dries and leaves a "Dry" coating of Graphite that works well for cables as a "Dry" lubricant specially designed for cables and does not destroy the jacket found on most cable cores.
When the "Jacket" breaks apart, it will make the cable "Jam up" inside, and many penetrating oils have ingredients in them that damage the cable "Jacket". The "Jacket" is like a "Teflon" coating on the core of a "Stranded Type" cable that looks black in color many times.
Those types of cables were designed to operate without any lubricant, they are usually found on motorcycles and ATV's, and are becoming popular on many other applications due to their not having to be lubricated all the time, so less maintenance work for them.

Last edited by ST1100A; 01-18-2020 at 12:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page