snow blower runs fine for 80% of driveway then needs partial choke to stay running - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 01-18-2020, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
snow blower runs fine for 80% of driveway then needs partial choke to stay running

I have a 4/5 year old troybilt storm 2410
Have fresh gas from 2 days ago. Have always treated gas with seafoam

Normally I start the snow blower on full choke, let it sit for a few minutes while I shovel some steps. Return to snowblower and turn the choke off completely. I can plow 80-90% of my 120ft driveway with the choke fully off, then the engine will start to sputter/stall. If I turn the choke partially on (10-20% choked) it will run smoothly, or is able to be restarted easily

Once I encounter the issue I have to run partially choked if the engine is warm (finish my driveway, turn off blower, go help a neighbor 20/30 minutes later) But the next time it snows (cold start) I will be able to run with the choke fully off again

this issue has been present most of this season
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-18-2020, 07:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 762
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 1580
Likes (Received): 1664
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmehmeh View Post

Normally I start the snow blower on full choke, let it sit for a few minutes while I shovel some steps. Return to snowblower and turn the choke off completely. I can plow 80-90% of my 120ft driveway with the choke fully off, then the engine will start to sputter/stall. If I turn the choke partially on (10-20% choked) it will run smoothly, or is able to be restarted easily

Once I encounter the issue I have to run partially choked if the engine is warm (finish my driveway, turn off blower, go help a neighbor 20/30 minutes later) But the next time it snows (cold start) I will be able to run with the choke fully off again

so when it is thoroughly warmed up and used it starts doing this. this should be interesting. usually this means running lean , needing more fuel , and or a slight clog in carburetor but this is something new here.

about how long does it run before this issue? perhaps a partially clogged vent on gas cap if lucky.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
post #3 of 21 Old 01-18-2020, 07:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 474
Likes (Received): 831
Welcome to the forum!

Needing partial choke typically indicates a dirty carb. But yours starts out OK, so that doesn't seem consistent with your symptoms.

Does it lose power when this is happening? Does it ever backfire, or does the muffler glow? You might have a valve that needs to be adjusted. If your valve clearances are too-small, the valve won't close fully as the engine heats up. You'll lose compression and power.

After it gets hot and needs partial choke, if you shut it down and immediately re-start it, is the cord easier to pull than when the engine is cold?

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #4 of 21 Old 01-18-2020, 07:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangputeh View Post
about how long does it run before this issue? perhaps a partially clogged vent on gas cap if lucky.
Good point. Try unscrewing the gas cap a little (or just remove it fully and then loosely re-install it, to make sure you've vented the air), and see if that helps, once the problem starts.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #5 of 21 Old 01-18-2020, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 223
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehmehmeh View Post

Choke should not be left on for minutes 30 seconds 45 seconds tops
it was 15 this am started blower full throttle full choke 20 seconds choke off 15 more seconds to idle 1750 rpm 1 min later warmed up to top idle 2050 rpm
new blowers are set lean some need choke
could have junk in the carb
post #6 of 21 Old 01-18-2020, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
it seems like I can get ~30 minutes out of it from a dead cold start. so if there was not much snow and I can go at higher speeds, I won't encounter the issue, and I can finish my whole driveway without adjusting the choke.

When I do encounter the issue, the engine start running rougher/slower until I partly choke it. I will hear the rpm drop and I can prevent it from fully stalling by adjusting the choke. Muffler does not seem overly hot (no glow), it has not been backfiring. I can always easily restart the blower (just can never go choke fully closed for the rest of that session)

don't think it is the fuel vent since the problem seems to go away after letting the engine cool completely/ waiting for the next snow fall. I usually check the gas level when the issue pops up because the symptoms are similar to running out of gas (sputtering and stalling out)
post #7 of 21 Old 01-18-2020, 08:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Letting the engine cool would also give time for a slowly-venting gas cap to finish venting properly. But if you remove the gas cap when the problem happens, and the problem continues, then it's not related to a clogged cap, unfortunately.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #8 of 21 Old 01-18-2020, 08:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1132le View Post
Choke should not be left on for minutes 30 seconds 45 seconds tops
it was 15 this am started blower full throttle full choke 20 seconds choke off 15 more seconds to idle 1750 rpm 1 min later warmed up to top idle 2050 rpm
new blowers are set lean some need choke
could have junk in the carb

It could be a whole host of things but per above, 20 seconds and you should be able to go to half choke and no more than a couple of minutes off (if not sooner)
You are compensating for a problem, said problem then comes back when it gets hot enough.

You might try sans the sea foam. Its a long term preservative and not needed for the winter (I have mixed feeling about it even as a preservative but gasoline going bad is not an AK issue)

I don't think this is the answer but worth considering for all machines.

My intake is close to the left side and light and deep snow will ice it up.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)

Last edited by RC20; 01-18-2020 at 08:27 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-18-2020, 11:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 201
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 413
Likes (Received): 266
Seems like that much time and engine heat, he might have tight valve clearance causing a problem.
After the engine is shut down and cools for a while it runs ok again, that is what usually happens with tight valves, especially if everything else checks out ok.
A possibility he might want to check into.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #10 of 21 Old 01-19-2020, 03:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 46
Garage
Not sure about tight valves as he says easy to restart. Tight valves make for hard starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page