Snowblower Forum banner

Upper discharge chute deflector

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  tabora 
#1 ·
The last time I used snowblower deflector worked fine. Now the lever won't change its angle. Could the cable be stretched or ? I don't see any where that it could be unhooked. As u can tell I am not a mechanic.[

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I would start with the deflector hinge. Just see if you can physically grab the deflector and if it easily bends down. I'd hit the hinge with a little oil either way. If the deflector is bending at the hinge properly then it's likely the cable has seized in it's sheath. I say that assuming the handle is moving some so the handle and it's pivot aren't the problem.

Your cable goes down and water will follow the cable down inside the sheath. Some have a rubber boot to try and prevent this but it appears your's has no such protection. You can try to gently flex the cable to see if that might free the cable from the sheath and also try spraying some penetrating oil in there (every year).
+1 on using PB Blaster for a penetrating fluid.

#3 ·
I think sometimes I should sit there and study the machine before getting a little ticked off. I am not a mechanic, but I took hold of the bare wire and it came apart in my hand . It had broken. So simple but never thought of it because the cable looked fine. My 9 year old grandson said he would help me fix the cable and the bolt after school today. I can't thank all of you enough. It saves me hauling it to a shop and paying a mechanic wages. Thank you

#4 ·
@Raffi,

Many times, it is usually something loose or broke.

These machines are not all that hard, and many issues are simple and common sense.

The more you understand your machine, and perform the necessary maintenance, you will get a better understanding of how it operates and what to look for and be mindful of.

Reactions: Raffi
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.