LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 01-21-2020, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
Adjusting friction drive on 1973 Ariens

I have a 1973 Ariens (model # 910008) which I re-powered last fall). I think I need to adjust the friction drive, because I was experiencing some slippage when I used the blower last week. I have the original leaflet sized owners manual that came with the blower, but the instructions in it to adjust the friction drive are missing information (such as in what direction to turn the adjustment rod in when you are making adjustments) and shows a diagram of the adjustment mechanism which does not match what is on my model.

Specifically, the diagrams show a housing on the exterior rear of the tractor unit where they indicate the adjustment rod and set screw can be accessed, On my blower, there is no such mechanism. I can access the adjustment rod by removing the rear/bottom cover on the tractor unit, but there is no set screw mechanism in there. The adjustment rod appears to have sleeve on it with nut at each end, which I suspect may be the the means to both adjust the rod to fix the slippage and secure the setting. But again I don't even know what direction to turn the rod.

Any suggestions on how to make the adjustment (or ideas on where that information resides) would be appreciated.

Last edited by mikeythemars; 01-25-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-21-2020, 04:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Received): 543
I believe that is a 10000 series, and the friction disc against the drive plate is always engaged, unless placed in neutral for free wheeling, or the clutch lever is engaged.

That friction disc is either worn, or the main spring on the friction disc mechanism is worn, thus giving improper tension. There is a slight adjustment on the left side clutch lever rod, to adjust the pull back tension of the Friction Disc, and the right side shifter placement rod can be adjusted for the placement of the friction disc on the drive plate, thus giving you your gears, depending where on the disc the friction drive makes contact.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mikeythemars liked this post
post #3 of 5 Old 01-21-2020, 10:38 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 85
Likes (Received): 252
73/74 isn't like that - it's 'squeeze to drive' . . .
post #4 of 5 Old 01-22-2020, 07:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 19
Likes (Received): 311
Does this have the information you need? https://apache.ariens.com/manuals/STOI-72.pdf

Otherwise post some pics of the mechanism and hopefully we can figure it out!

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-23-2020, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Yes, thank you! that did have the specific information (including a diagram) I needed to fix the issue I was having with the traction drive in my 1973 Ariens.

I followed the Ariens instructions in what you sent to the letter as follows:

- tip the entire blower up so that the auger and impeller unit are facing down on the floor.
- unbolt and remove the rear/pan cover from the tractor unit.
- loosen the nut (referred to in the instructions as a "jam nut") that is at the bottom of the sleeve on the adjustment rod.
- put the blower into fourth gear.
- then go through a tweaky process of tightening the adjustment rod, via the bolt at the top of the sleeve, while having to simultaneously look at the point where the friction disc meets the plate. That is because you have to tweak the adjustments on the rod until there is only a half a millimeter of open space between the disc and plate (yes, that half mm spacing is the spec in the Ariens instructions) and I'm glad I had my set of spark plug gap shims so I could actually measure things to make sure I was setting that microscopic amount of air properly.
- then re-tighten the jam nut
- then bolt the rear pan/cover back on.

Drive now properly engages with no slippage.

Last edited by mikeythemars; 01-24-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page