LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 01-22-2020, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 5
Spirit 1028 no reverse

Have an old Spirit (MTD class) machine that belonged to my Grandfather and I sort of inherited from my uncle who was our live in caretaker at the lake house. I never used it, but it starts and runs OK Problem is it only has forward speeds. My uncle was not mechanical other than cobbling stuff enough to almost work. The kind of guy who would add oil to a vehicle that leaked or used oil and seldom if ever change it. I know that there were some control cable issues with this machine in the past, but it moved forward and I was able to do the job. I'm the type that can troubleshoot and fix most anything and typically make it better than new, but I also tend to own much higher caliber equipment so I have limited experience with these machines. Looking at the machine I'd guess it has the common friction drive. The garage at the lake house is unheated and not exceptionally well lit so I am contemplating bringing it home to heated shop, but if someone has suggestions as to a possible simple fix I'd be interested. There are lots of tools there, but poorly organized so I'd be trying to take enough of my good stuff along to get it done.

I have a new Honda HSS 1332 to do the work now. I'm looking to fix and pass along this machine and hopefully avoid transporting home 2 hrs one way if not necessary.

Last edited by TD-Max; 01-22-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-22-2020, 11:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 86
Likes (Given): 241
Likes (Received): 202
I did a google image search for a Spirit 1028 and most of them look like Murray-designed units and not MTD.

You'll probably need to adjust the friction disc so that when the gear is in reverse, the friction disc will sit on the other half of the drive plate. Here's a sample procedure:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/49...3.html?page=29

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks TD-Max thanked for this post
post #3 of 3 Old 01-22-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 5
Thanks that helps a lot. Looks like a basic recentering of the travel adjustment I'm thinking I can probably get away with adjusting by feel until I have decent reverse and skip dropping the pan for a quick fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page