LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 02-08-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 12
Likes (Received): 12
Non-Ethanol Fuel

Just curious if the people that use non-ethanol fuel in their machines also additionally add some type of fuel treatment or stabilizer such as Stabil, StarTron, Seafoam, etc. And if so, why?

Reason why I ask is I run non-ethanol premium (without additive) and have never had a problem.

Last edited by NWRider; 02-08-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 02-08-2020, 08:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 66
Likes (Received): 246
i run ethanol free with no additives also. never had an issue. it does seem to loose its flammability with age but doesn't clog up the fuel system just like you see on project farms video.

arien 520 snow blower 6.5hp swap
yardworks 31AH6WKF515
post #3 of 60 Old 02-08-2020, 09:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 21
Thanks (Received): 50
Likes (Given): 78
Likes (Received): 83
Alcohol free and seafoam here

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk
post #4 of 60 Old 02-08-2020, 09:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 2
91 octane ethanol free and seafoam in all my small engines yr. round.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes tlshawks liked this post
post #5 of 60 Old 02-08-2020, 11:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 69
I run Ethanol fuel in the Snow Blower as that is what we have. The Yami is 20 years old, I also never have had an issue. Modern machines are designed for ethanol.

I also never have run fuel stabilizer in anything. The only reasons you would want to or need to is very warm storage of fuel for long periods of time. Blower kept in a pretty warm garage and or fuel stored over a long hot summer (maybe) .

We don't usually have that hot or extended temps even in the summer. We did have 6 weeks of 80 plus this last summer, blower is perfectly happy with that fuel from the common fuel can used for the lawn mower and blower.

The only area I have seen Ethanol have an impact is my side car cycle, drops 4 mpg as soon as it sees a fill of that. I can live with it for the limited amount of winter miles I run.

Some really old machines, pre 88 or so might have an issue with it seals and gaskets and hoses. I ran a 70s Bronco on it until 2005 with zero issues.

This is an area you can't prove a negative as it were. You don't have an identical blower you just ran ethanol fuel in to compare.

I have only seen issues in float bowls /fuel systems that were allowed to evaporate and you wound up with the varnish (and one fuel tank) - dissolve that crud into gas and you do have issues. Nothing to do with Ethanol or preservative.

One problem with a cycle that I drained the fuel out of, O ring leaked until it swelled up again. Kept it full of fuel and no problem as it stayed swelled up. Not an ethanol or preservative issue either.

1998 YT624 Have Owners and Service Manual, Rubber Disc Drive (not hydrostatic)

Last edited by RC20; 02-09-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes justadbeer liked this post
post #6 of 60 Old 02-09-2020, 07:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRider View Post
Just curious if the people that use non-ethanol fuel in their machines also additionally add some type of fuel treatment or stabilizer such as Stabil, StarTron, Seafoam, etc. And if so, why?

Reason why I ask is I run non-ethanol premium (without additive) and have never had a problem.
Power equipment can get issues from gasoline for 3 reasons: oxidation, stale gasoline, and phase separation. While using ethanol free gasoline will avoid phase separation, the other two (oxidation and stale gasoline) can still occur. Oxidation results in sludge and gum build-up and products like Sea Foam can't stop oxidation but can reduce the sludge and gum build-up. Finally, many people believe stale gasoline can be restored by treatment, but not me. The best way to avoid stale gasoline is to use it up fairly quickly - 3 months.

Last edited by Tony P.; 02-09-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes orangputeh, ST1100A, rod330 liked this post
post #7 of 60 Old 02-09-2020, 07:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 475
Likes (Received): 146
when one takes the time to read the machine or auto's owners manual ,one finds with the exception of flex fuel motors,that can run on e85 or even pure ethanol, the manufacturer states the fuel system is made to handle what is the most common e10 gasoline, or 10% ethanol with out problems. newer specs being pushed and coming are for e15% ,which will cause more problems in older machines and auto's ,

what gets affected are the parts in the fuel system being the brown plastic floats, float needle and hoses, the ethanol tends to break down the rubber almost as if.it was being melted.
does it affect fuel consumption? YES, does it reduce emissions? the feds and state of California say yes. but what can we do? nothing politicians and a few other groups are the only winners .

something else few seem to not know about, is the ethanol is NOT blended into the fuel when refined, it is added to the tanker truck tank when the driver loads up. when inputting the load, they are getting say 3.000 gallons. they input 2.700 gas 300 ethanol, "10%" if working legitimate, it is easy to double the ethanol making the station more money per gallon that if they cut a deal with a bad driver, or use their own tankers to load multiple stations ,

hence why ope manufacturers make the service dealer check the content of the fuel in the tank of a machine before making repairs , when we ran the shop ,we many times found ethanol as high as 30% a few times which had caused a almost right away seizing of pistons in 2 stroke machines

as to storing e free gas, i add stabil regardless to the 91 that i can get . it' to me is a cheap insurance for a can that may sit for a few months during winter time when i don't use a lot from mowing lawns,trimming and cutting trees into firewood . plus running 91 the machines do seem to run a lot smoother.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ST1100A thanked for this post
Likes orangputeh liked this post
post #8 of 60 Old 02-09-2020, 09:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87powershiftx2 View Post
does it reduce emissions? the feds and state of California say yes. but what can we do? nothing politicians and a few other groups are the only winners .
And that pesky environment.

No one really doubts E-10 exists, not because of politicians, but because E-10 burns more cleanly than E-0 since alcohol burns cleaner than gasoline. And, although, ethanol production creates some pollution, the net benefit is clear.
post #9 of 60 Old 02-09-2020, 09:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 65
Thanks (Received): 122
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 149
Garage
91 octane ethanol free and without additional additives. What is left after the winter powers my summer engines.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #10 of 60 Old 02-09-2020, 09:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 167
Likes (Received): 42
Premium (ethanol free) with stabilizer. I'll add seafoam occasionally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in